Daniels, W.Va. - Lynn University men's golfer Toto Gana shot a two-under par 69 on the final day to win the NCAA Division II Preview. This marks the first career tournament victory for the junior golfer. The Fighting Knights could not hold on to the lead as a team, taking second place overall.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 17 teams
Location: Cobb Course at Glade Springs | Daniels, W.Va.
History at Event: Fourth appearance (won in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn's squad (843) shot a three-over par 287 to drop three-shots back of winner Barry (840). The two teams sat comfortably ahead of the field, including third place St. Mary's (Texas) (858), Wingate (866) and University of Colorado – Colorado Springs (870).
- Gana ended the 54-hole tournament with rounds of 69-67-69 for a 205 total, one shot of St. Mary's Emilio Gonzales. Those two, along with Newberry's Ben Thompson, were the golfers to shoot under par all three rounds of the event.
- Jorge Villar lost out to his teammate but stayed within the top-10 despite his final round 75. He shot an impressive 209 over 54-holes to place seventh.
- Just like the previous tournament, Carlos Bustos stayed consistent with rounds of 72-71-72 for a two-over par 215 and a tie for 13th place.
- Felix Kvarnstrom ended the event in a tie for 19th following scores of 74-69-74=217.
- Justin Wynen had his best day on the course with a one-over par 72 as he headed to the clubhouse with a 227 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- This is the first career tournament victory for Gana. His closest previous finish was tying for fourth at the Battle at the Shores in Spring 2018.
- This is the first tournament victory for a member of the Blue and White since Manuel Torres and Martin Cancino shared medalist honors at the Gary Freeman B-CU Spring Invitational on Mar. 3, 2017.
- Gana earns his 10th career top-10 finish while Villar picks up his third.
- His victory is the 36th individual title in program history.
- Gana's 205 ties for the fifth-lowest 54-hole score in program history.
The Fighting Knights return to the links on Monday, Oct. 15, to participate in the Copperhead Championship to be held on the Copperhead course of Innisbrook in Tampa, Fla. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.