Innisbrook, Fla. – Lynn University's third-ranked men's golf team posted its best round of the tournament to finish tied for sixth at the Second Annual Copperhead Championship. Toto Gana and Jorge Villar collected top-10 finishes for the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-6th out of 16 teams
Location: Innisbrook Resort – Copperhead Course | Innisbrook, Fla.
History at Event: Second appearance (T-4th last year)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn improved for the second consecutive round, posting a 287 team score for a 54-hole total of 870. Top-ranked Barry (834) ran away with the victory, winning by 24 shots over West Florida (858). Queen's University (864), Florida Tech (866) and Georgia Southwestern (869) rounded out the top-five.
- Gana added a second consecutive sub-par round to push him into a tie for seventh. He made it rain birdies, tallying five on the day, to go along with two bogies, finishing with a three-under par 68.
- Villar exchanged three birdies and four bogies but closed out the day with a double to end with a 74. He tied for 10th individually.
- Felix Kvarnstrom showed the biggest improvement with a final round one-over par 72 while Ethan Dong logged a two-over 73. The duo were one and two shots back of Carlos Busto's 225 total.
- Tyrone Clarke added a 76 on the final day as an individual to close out the 54-hole event with a 220.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn tied with Barry for the field lead in par 3 scoring (+2) and was tied for third in par 5 scoring (-10). The squad was also tied for fourth in total birdies with 40.
- Gana carried the field in par 3 scoring at -3 while Bustos was tied for second in par 5 scoring at six-under par.
- Villar's 12 birdies was tied for third in the field and Gana led with 40 pars.
- Gana earned his 11th career top-10 finish, moving him into a tie for 11th in program history and eight back of the program lead held by Mateo Gomez (2015-17).
- Villar has matched his top-10 total through all of last year (2) through three tournaments this season.
- Dong's 227 was two shots off his career-best set last year.
Lynn takes part in its final tournament of the fall season when it travels to Seaside, Calif., for the Otter Invitational beginning on Monday, Oct. 22. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.