Seaside, Calif. - Lynn University's second-ranked men's golf team posted the lowest score of the third round to overtake top-ranked Barry and win the Otter Invitational for the third time in program history. Three Fighting Knights placed in the top-five, with Felix Kvarnstrom collecting a runner-up finish.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Seaside, Calif. | Bayonet and Blackhorse Country Club
History at Event: Fifth appearance (won in 2005 & 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn was the only school to shoot even par (288) en route to a three-under par 861 total, eight shots better than Barry (869). West Florida (870) Chico State (877) and Florida Southern (882) rounded out the top-five.
- Kvarnstrom continued his hot play, notching his second consecutive two-under par 70 to finish with a three-under 213. He was four-shots back of the winner Christian Bosso of West Florida. Kvarnstrom tallied three birdies and one bogey.
- Bustos took a lead into the final day but shot a five-over 77. He still ended the tournament two-under par (214) to tie for third.
- Gana boasted the lowest round of the day for Lynn with a three-under par 69. He traded four birdies with one bogey on the day and was one-under over 54-holes.
- Jorge Villar managed a four-shot improvement from round two to finish five-over while Tyrone Clarke bested his score by five strokes from the previous day.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn was the only school to shoot under par as a team for the tournament.
- This is the first victory for the Fighting Knights under Andy Walker.
- Each of the last three coaches for Lynn have won their first tournament in their first fall season: Chris Greenwood (Spartan Invite Oct. 11, 2015), Andrew Danna (Donald Ross Intercollegiate Oct. 15, 2012) and Walker.
- This was Kvarnstrom's top-finish in a tournament. He previously placed third at the Otter Invitational in 2016, matching his same 54-hole total (213).
- The Blue and White were first in par 4 scoring (+8), tied for first in par 5 scoring (-5) and tied for second in par 3 scoring (+4). In addition they were second in total pars (58) and tied for second in birdies (15).
- Kvarnstrom shared the lead in par 4 scoring (-3) with Gana tied for third (-1). Bustos wa tied for fourth in par 5 scoring (-6).
- Kvarnstrom also was sixth in total pars (37).
- Bustos led the field with 16 birdies.
Lynn has concluded play in the fall and will return to the links on Monday, Feb. 11, 2019 at the Matlock Invitational. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.