Lakeland, Fla. - Lynn University's men's golf team shot consecutive rounds under par to take a 10-shot lead into the final round of the Matlock Collegiate Classic. Jorge Villar is tied for the individual tournament lead in a field that features seven of the nation's top-10 teams.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 1st out of 15 teams
Location: Lone Palm Golf Club | Lakeland, Fla.
History at Event: 16th consecutive year participating (8th in 2018; won in 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn was four-under par through 18 holes before posting a five-under par 283 to finish nine-under. Sixth-ranked West Florida (577) is in a tie with top-ranked Barry while Columbus State (579) and seventh-ranked Florida Southern (580) round out the top-five.
- Villar was nearly flawless on the day. He ended the first round with a three-under par 69, sinking five birdies to go with two bogeys. In round two he shot a five-under 67. His eight-under par is tied with Florida Southern's Max Coutsolioutsos.
- Newcomer Agustin Errazuriz wasted little time in making an impression in his first tournament, ending the 36-holes three-under par. He carded a 69 in round one before heading to the clubhouse with a 72 and is tied for sixth.
- Carlos Bustos is tied for 14th with a one-over 145.
- Tyrone Clarke and Toto Gana have totals of 148 and 149.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn is the only team to shoot under par for the tournament.
- Errazuriz is making his Fighting Knights debut.
- Villar's second round 67 is his second-lowest round of the season, three off his second round at the NCAA D2 Preview.
- Lynn is first in the field in par 4 (E), par 5 (-14) scoring and total birdies (36).
- Villar is tied for first in par 4 (-3) and par 5 scoring (-4) and total birdies (11).
- Tyrone Clarke is one of five golfers to drain an eagle in the tournament.
The Fighting Knights will pair with West Florida and Barry for the final round. Lynn tees off from holes one thru three with an 8:30 am shotgun start. Fans can keep up with live results at LynnFightingKnights.com.