Kiawah Island, S.C. - Lynn University's men's golf team made up ground following a difficult first round and is in third place at the Newberry College Invitational. Both Carlos Bustos and Toto Gana are within the top-10 individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standings: 3RD out of 18 teams
Location: Kiawah Island – Ocean Course| Kiawah Island, S.C.
History at Event: First Appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn (584) overcame a first round 297 to fire a one-under 287 in round two to jump from a tie for eighth to third. There is still much work to do to catch Florida Southern (868). Arkansas Tech (579) is second with Young Harris (586) and Columbus St. (588) in fourth and fifth.
- Bustos is tied for fifth following a two-under 70 and even par 72. His 142 is 10 shots back of Florida Southern's Michael VanDerlaan.
- Gana moved into a tie for ninth after an incredible round of five-under par 67 for the final 18 holes. He made a nine-stroke improvement from the first round.
- Agustin Errazuriz notched scores of 73 and 78.
- Mariano Ayora Gomez had the second-largest improvement, subtracting eight strokes from his opening round score for an even par 72.
- Tyronne Clarke added rounds of 78-77.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn had only one golfer shoot par or better in round one and three shoot par or better in round two.
- The Fighting Knight's 287 was the low for the second round.
- Florida Southern (-8) is the only team under par for the tournament.
- Gomez is making his Blue and White debut.
- Lynn has two freshmen in the starting lineup for the first time since the Bobcat Invitational in Mar. 2018.
Lynn's first tee-time for Tuesday, Feb. 19, begins at 10:10 a.m. as the squad is paired with Florid Southern and Arkansas Tech. For more information, check out LynnFightingKnights.com.