Valdosta, Ga. – Lynn University's second-ranked men's golf team shot five-over par and is in seventh place out of 18 teams after the first round of the Southeastern Collegiate. Three members of the Fighting Knights shot one-over par 73s as the team is only seven shots back of the lead.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 7th of 18 teams – First Round
Location: Kinderlou Forest GC | Valdosta, Ga..
Par/Yardage: 72/7,365 yards
History at Event: 23rd consecutive year participating (fifth in 2018; three-time runner-up)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn posted an 18-hole score of 293, seven shots back of the leader, West Florida (286). Top-ranked Barry (288) is tied for second with Saint Leo while Columbus State (290) and Flagler (291) have a loose hold on fourth and fifth.
- The Chilean crew of Toto Gana, Carlos Bustos and Agustin Errazuriz each tallied rounds of 73.
- Gana and Errazuriz both exchanged one birdie with two bogeys while Bustos connected on three birdie putts but also bogeyed four holes.
- Giovanni Manzoni plugged in a two-over par 74. The freshman sank a pair of birds to give him a one-under 35 on the front nine but was three-over on the back.
- Jorge Villar returned from a one tournament absence to fire a three-over 75.
- Additionally, Felix Kvarnstrom competed as an individual with a five-over par 77.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- The top-four teams in the country (Barry, Lynn, West Florida and Florida Southern) and nine of the top-25 are competing in the Southeastern Collegiate.
- Manzoni is making his Fighting Knights debut.
- Lynn has had lackluster success at the Southeastern Collegiate, never winning the 54-hole event and finishing runner-up only three times in 22 previous appearances.
- Nova Southeastern's Juan Jose Guerra has the individual lead with a five-under 67.
- Lynn is tied for third in par 4 scoring (+5) and total pars (64) and is one of six teams to be under par in par 5 scoring (-2).
- No individual is within the top-20 in total birdies but both Gana and Errazuriz are tied for fourth with 15 pars.
Lynn tees off the second rounds of the Southeastern Collegiate beginning at 8:30 am from the first hole. The team is paired with Lee and Lander. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.