Valdosta, Ga. - Lynn University's second ranked men's golf team shot seven-under par as a team to jump into the top-five after 36-holes of the Southeastern Collegiate. Both Carlos Bustos and Giovanni Manzoni posted three-under par 69s to lead the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 7th of 18 teams – First Round
Location: Kinderlou Forest GC | Valdosta, Ga..
Par/Yardage: 72/7,365 yards
History at Event: 23rd consecutive year participating (fifth in 2018; three-time runner-up)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn (574) tied for the fourth-lowest round of the tournament with a seven-under par 281 to finish in a two-way tie for fifth along with host Valdosta State. The lowest score of the day went to Nova Southeastern (570), which shot a 14-under 274 to move into a tie for third with Columbus State.
- Top-ranked Barry (566) was 10-under par to take a one-shot lead ahead of West Florida (567).
- Bustos caught fire early in the second round. The sophomore out of Santiago, Chile sank three front nine birdies following a bogey on the second hole. He would go on to sink three more birds before ending the day at three-under and in a tie for 11th individually.
- Manzoni was nearly as impressive, mixing in five birdies with two bogeys for a three-under 69. He is tied for 16th individually.
- Toto Gana is equal with his teammate following a round of two-under 70. A bogey on his fourth hole was his lone mistake as he finished the day clean with three birdies.
- Agustin Errazuriz and Jorge Villar each traded one birdie with two bogeys for scores of 73.
- Playing separate from the team, Felix Kvanrstrom shot a three-over 75.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Manzoni's round is a career-best.
- The Fighting Knights 281 is their second-lowest team score of 2018-19.
- Lynn sank a combined 18 birdies a day after knocking down only nine.
- Lynn moved into second in total pars (128), third in par 5 scoring (-7), fourth in par 4 scoring (+7) and sixth in par 3 scoring (+2).
- At four-under par in par 5 scoring, Bustos ranks tied for fifth in the field.
- Only two golfers have more pars than Errazuriz (30).
- Lynn went from not having a single golfer in the top-20 of total birdies to Bustos ranking seventh.
Lynn goes off at 9:15 am from hole No. 1 in the final round of the Southeastern Collegiate with a pairing with Nova Southeastern and Valdosta State. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.