Valdosta, Ga. – Lynn University's second-ranked men's golf team shot four-under par to move up the leaderboard to place third at the 2019 Southeastern Collegiate. Carlos Bustos tied for ninth individually while Toto Gana and Giovanni Manzoni just missed out on a top-10 finish.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Results: 3rd of 18 teams
Location: Kinderlou Forest GC | Valdosta, Ga..
Par/Yardage: 72/7,365 yards
History at Event: 23rd consecutive year participating (fifth in 2018; three-time runner-up)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn posted a four-under 284, the second-lowest score on the day, to close the 54-hole event with an 858 total. Top-ranked Barry (848) won by nine shots over No. 9 Nova Southeastern (857). Florida Tech (861) and Saint Leo (864) made it an all-Sunshine State Conference top-five.
- Bustos played under par for much of the day until a bogey on his 16th hole pushed him even. The junior out of Santiago, Chile, saved the day with a birdie on his last hole to end with a 71. He was three-under par for the tournament.
- Gana and Manzoni tied for 12th with scores of 214. Gana played two-under golf until the last hole and Manzoni converted four birdies and a bogey but doubled the 14th hole. The duo each shot 71.
- Agustin Errazuriz notched his best round of the tournament with a one-under 71. He tied for 23rd.
- Jorge Villar was the last golfer in the starting five, shooting 225, respectively.
- Felix Kvarnstrom picked up his play from the previous two rounds, shooting an even par 72 and ended play with a 224 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn last finished third at the Southeastern Collegiate in 2017.
- The Fighting Knights moved from seventh to fifth to third during the course of the tournament.
- This is the Blue and White's third-lowest 54-hole total of the season.
- The Fighting Knights were won of four teams to finish under par on the day and for the tournament.
- Lynn has four consecutive top-four finishes.
- Bustos earns his third top-10 finish of the year, matching his career-high set in 2016-17.
- Manzoni made his Fighting Knights debut at the Southeastern Collegiate. Of the three freshmen to participate this year Manzoni has the lowest 54-hole total (Errazuriz – 218; Mariano Ayora Gomez – 233).
Lynn is right back at it on Monday, March 18, when the team takes part in the Bobcat Invitational at the Cuscowilla Golf Course in Eatonton, Ga. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.