Eatonton, Ga. – The scores may have been high on the final day but Lynn University's was the lowest among the 15 teams in the field as the men's golf team took first place at the Bobcat Invitational by nine shots on Tuesday afternoon. This is the Fighting Knights' sixth victory in 13 years of the tournament's existence, the third win this year and second of the spring semester.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Results: 1st out of 15 teams
Location: Cuscowilla on Lake Oconee | Eatonton, Ga.
History at Event: 10th consecutive appearance (Won in 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016 & 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue and White (854) tied with Rollins with the low round of 297 and it was enough to not only stay in the lead but extend the team's advantage to nine strokes over Florida Southern (863). Top-ranked Barry (864) placed third followed by Rollins (870) and West Florida (872).
- Freshman Giovanni Manzoni shot 210 to pace Lynn. He posted a final round 70 and ended tied for second, two shots back of Rollins' Morgan Egloff.
- Agustin Errazuriz earned a top-10 finish with a 214 effort.
- Jorge Villar was one shot back of his teammate Errazuriz and tied for 11th with a 215.
- Toto Gana carded a 216 while Carlos Bustos headed to the clubhouse with a 223.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn has now won this tournament six times, four more than the next school.
- Eight teams from the Bushnell Golf Top-25 Coaches Poll participated, including four of the top-five ranked teams.
- Manzoni was one of four golfers to shoot par or better in the final round.
- Only one golfer sank more pars than Errazuriz (41).
- Manzoni was second in the field in par 4 scoring (-2) and one of two to shoot under par on par 4s.
- Manzoni's 210 and Errazuriz's 214 are career-bests scores for 54-holes.
- Head coach Andy Walker collects his third victory of his inaugural year at the helm. He needs one more to tie Andrew Danna and Chris Greenwood for the most wins in a first season.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Monday, April 1, when they take part in the Battle at the Shores, at Normandy Shores Golf Club in Miami Beach, Fla. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.