Dade City, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team posted a solid opening day the Sunshine State Conference Men's Golf Championship, finishing the opening round tied for third place. Toto Gana recorded the low-round for the Fighting Knights, shooting an even-par 72 on the first day of action.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-3rd of 11 Teams
Location: Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club (North Course) | Dade City, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 72 / 7,097
History at Event: 22nd consecutive appearance (Won four times: 2004, 2006, 2015 & 2016)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn managed a team score of 294 to open its 2019 postseason play, tied with Saint Leo for third place. Nova Southeastern (282) claimed the top spot after day one with Barry (284) finishing the day in second place. Florida Southern, Rollins, Embry-Riddle, Florida Tech, Tampa, Palm Beach Atlantic and Eckerd round out the standings five through 11.
- Gana was joined by Agustin Errazuriz and Carlos Bustos in the top-11 as they each shot 73 (+1).
- Giovanni Manzoni went three-over on the back after a one-over front nine to finish with a first-round 76 (+4) to put him T-29th headed to round two.
- Jorge Villar bounced back from a tough opening nine, shooting just one-over on the back, shooting 80 (+8).
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- As a team, Lynn ranked third in par 5 scoring average (4.55) and fifth in par 4 scoring average (4.30), but was second-to-last in par 3 scoring average (3.45).
- Gana was second in par 5 scoring (-4) and third with five total birdies.
- Bustos, Errazuriz, Gana and Manzoni all birdied the par 5-sixth.
- Bustos and Errazuriz finished tied-third with 13 pars each.
- All five Fighting Knights made bogeys on the 18th hole.
- The middle of the pack, Saint Leo, Lynn and Florida Southern, are separated by just one stroke.
- The 2018 SSC Men's Golf Individual Champion, Juan Jose Guerra of NSU, fired a 5-under 67 and holds a two-stroke individual lead after day one.
Lynn will take on the second round of the Sunshine State Championships Monday, April 15, at the Lake Jovita Golf Club beginning at 8:30 a.m. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.