Dade City, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team shot a tournament-low 280 (-8) on day two at the Sunshine State Conference (SSC) Men's Golf Championships on Monday, setting itself up to make a title run in Tuesday's final round. Jorge Villar delivered a standout performance to lead the Fighting Knights, posting a five-under 67.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 11 Teams
Location: Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club (North Course) | Dade City, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 72 / 7,097
History at Event: 22nd consecutive appearance (Won four times: 2004, 2006, 2015 & 2016)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn (574) improved its score by 14 strokes on moving day to slide up into second position, just seven strokes behind first-place Barry (567). Nova Southeastern (584), who sits third, couldn't find its opening day form, dropping its second-round total by 20 strokes. Florida Southern, Saint Leo, Rollins, Florida Tech, Tampa, Embry-Riddle, Palm Beach Atlantic and Eckerd round out the standings four through 11.
- Villar had a blistering day on the links, after shooting 80 on the first day, making seven birdies on his way to a 67.
- Carlos Bustos and Toto Gana also secured under-par rounds, shooting 70 and 71, respectively. Both sit at one-under for the tournament, tied-third in the individual race.
- Agustin Errazuriz battled his way to an even-par 72 after making two bogeys on the front-nine, going one-under after the turn.
- Giovanni Manzoni had a solid day outside of two double bogeys, finishing his round with a 77.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- All four counted scores for Lynn rank within the top-18.
- Bustos is one of two players who have played the par 4s at even-par through two rounds.
- Gana is a combined -6 on the par 5s through two days, tied with four others for the best score in that category.
- As a team, the Blue and White lead the field in par 4 scoring average (4.17) and rank second in par 5 scoring average (4.53).
- Bustos birdied three straight holes (5-7) on the front nine.
- Lynn is tied with Florida Tech with 113 pars headed into the final round.
- Villar finished with a flourish, posting three birdies in the final four holes.
- The Fighting Knights' eight-under effort is tied for the 11th best team round in SSC tournament history and is tied for the second-best at Lake Jovita.
Lynn will take on the final round of the Sunshine State Championships Tuesday, April 15, at Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.