Dade City, Fla. – Lynn University's men's golf team fired the lowest team-round for the second consecutive day, but was held off by Barry in the end, coming in second-place at the 2019 Sunshine State Conference (SSC) Championships. Agustin Errazuriz and Toto Gana finished third and tied-fourth, respectively, to receive All-SSC Tournament honors.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 11 Teams
Location: Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club (North Course) | Dade City, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 72 / 7,097
History at Event: 22nd consecutive appearance (Won four times: 2004, 2006, 2015 & 2016)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn (276) not only shot the low-round for the second straight day, but shot the lowest team-round of the tournament, finishing -12 on the day. Barry, however, shot its third-straight under-par round, firing a final-round 277 to claim the title by six strokes (850-844).
- Nova Southeastern (865), Florida Southern (880), Saint Leo (883) and Rollins (883) rounded out the top-five.
- Errazuriz showed his ability to go low on the last day, carding nine birdies on his way to a -7 performance to lead the Fighting Knights. The freshman finished at -6, climbing eight spots in the individual race in the final round.
- Gana fired his third straight par or better round, shooting 69 (-3) to finish the tournament with a combined score of 212 (-4).
- Carlos Bustos joined countrymen Errazuriz and Gana in the top-seven, shooting his second-straight 70 to end his tournament with a 213 (-3).
- Jorge Villar slotted himself into the top-20, rebounding from a first round 80 to shoot 67-73 over the final 36 holes, finishing 19th with a combined score of 220 (+4).
- Giovanni Manzoni had solid final-round of even par (72), ending his SSC Tournament tied-33rd with a 225 (+9).
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Gana and Errazuriz are the first Fighting Knights to earn All-Tournament team honors since 2015-16.
- Lynn's 12-under day is tied for the fourth-best single round team score and its 14-under cumulative total is tied for seventh-best in SSC Tournament history.
- Errazuriz seven-under score is tied for the best-ever single round SSC Tournament individual mark.
- Errazuriz' 13 birdies were tied for fifth-most in the tournament.
- Gana was tied-fourth in the field with 36 combined pars in three rounds.
- Bustos carded Lynn's lone eagle on his first hole of the day on Tuesday.
- The Blue and White ranked in the top-two in par 4 (4.13-2nd) and par 5 (4.43-1st) scoring, but were seventh in par 3 scoring (3.23).
- Lynn finishes runner-up after placing fifth at the SSC Tournament in 2018, its highest-finish since winning in 2016.
Lynn will now gear up for the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Regional in Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla., May 9-11. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.