Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla. - Lynn University's men's golf team is tied for second after shooting an even par 288 following the opening round of the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Regional. It is the freshman pacing the Fighting Knights as Giovanni Manzoni and Agustin Errazuriz are both within the top-10 individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-2nd of 20 teams
Location: Mission Inn Resort & Club – El Campeon Course | Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla.
History at Event: 17th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance (won at Mission Inn in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- No. 2 ranked Lynn is tied with No. 3 West Florida (288) in second and three shots back of the leader Lincoln Memorial (285). Clayton State (297), Columbus State (298), Barry (299) and Limestone (300) round out the top-seven teams.
- Manzoni is alone in fourth following a two-under par 70. The Italian freshman shared the lead at three-under par for much of the day until a bogey on the 17th hole dropped him into fourth. He is one shot back of the leaders.
- Errazuriz drained the most birdies on the day with five but traded three bogeys and a double to end the afternoon with an even par 72. He is currently tied for ninth.
- Toto Gana and Carlos Bustos took different paths but each ended the day at one-over par (73). Gana was four-over par after five holes but clawed back with three birdies over his final 13 holes. Bustos birdies his third hole, bogeyed No. five and followed with 10 straight pars until a bogey on No. 16.
- Jorge Villar played well despite shooting a three-over 75. He was three-over par on the front nine and even on the back with two birdies and two bogeys.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- This is the fifth time out of 11 tournaments Lynn has shot par or better in the opening round.
- The Fighting Knights have finished in the top-four in all six Spring events with three consecutive tournaments in the top-two (one win and two runner-ups).
- Gana is aiming for his seventh top-10 finish of the season. That would be a career-high would tie him for seventh in program history for a single season. It would also give him 15 for his career, which would give him sole possession of sixth at Lynn.
- Manzoni is looking to become the first golfer since Manuel Torres in 2016 to win the NCAA South/Southeast Regional.
- Lynn owns the tournament lead with 61 pars and shares the lead in par 4 (+2) and par 5 (-4) scoring. Only West Florida and Lincoln Memorial have more birdies than the Fighting Knights (14).
- Manzoni (-3) and Errazuriz (-1) are first and third in par 4 scoring.
- Bustos (15) and Manzoni (14) are tied for first and third in total pars while Errazuriz is tied for second in total birdies.
- The top seven teams and top two student-athletes not with a team will advance to the NCAA Division II National Championship May 20-24 at The Resort at Glade Springs in Daniels, W. Va.
Lynn tees off in the second round beginning at 7:30 a.m. from hole No. 10 and will be paired with Barry and Lincoln Memorial. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.