Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla. – It was a rough second day on the course for the top-half of the field but Lynn University's men's golf team was able to move into a tie for first place at the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Regional. Jorge Villar was one of a handful of golfers to shoot under par while Giovanni Manzoni remains inside the top-10 individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-1st of 20 teams
Location: Mission Inn Resort & Club – El Campeon Course | Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla.
History at Event: 17th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance (won at Mission Inn in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights shot 297 (+9) as a team to share first place with West Florida (585) after 36-holes. Lincoln Memorial is third at 590 with Florida Southern (593) fourth, Barry and Columbus State (596) tied for fifth and Limestone (599) in seventh.
- Villar traded four birdies with three bogeys for a one-under 71. The sophomore out of Mexico was even at the turn and shot one-under the last nine holes. He is tied for 14th individually.
- Manzoni looked to keep up his strong play from the previous round as he was one-under through six holes but he ended play with four bogeys, one birdie and seven pars for a two-over par 74. He is currently tied for fifth, four shots back from the leader.
- Carlos Bustos is third on the squad following a three-over par 75. He will be looking to carry over his strong finish, seven pars and a birdie, into the final round.
- After shooting three-under through his final nine holes on day one, Gana moved to one-under through five holes on day two, only to run into trouble with bogeys on two of his next four holes. Trouble followed on the same holes as round one and he ended the day with a 77.
- Agustin Errazuriz was the final competitor for Lynn, shooting an 82, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- The top seven teams and top two student-athletes not with a team will advance to the NCAA Division II National Championship May 20-24 at The Resort at Glade Springs in Daniels, W. Va.
- While the overall second round score was down from the first round, the top seven teams saw their team score rise by three shots from the previous day.
- Lynn won its last regional on this very course back in 2016.
- Villar was one of 11 golfers to shoot under par in the second round. This comes after just six golfers shot under par in the first round.
- Only West Florida (+11) is shooting better than Lynn (+14) on par 4 holes while the Fighting Knights are tied for fourth in par 3 scoring (+7).
- Lynn held its overall lead in total pars (114) and is tied for fourth in total birdies (25).
- Manzoni is now the leader in par 4 scoring (-1) with Bustos tied for fifth (+1).
- Two golfers have better par 5 scoring than Villar (-4).
- Bustos shares the overall par lead at 27.
Lynn is set for the final grouping with West Florida and Lincoln Memorial. The trio tee off beginning at 12:50 from hole No. 1. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.