Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla. – Just three days after the women's team claimed top honors in the NCAA Regional Tournament Lynn University's men's golf team joined them in the winner's circle with a first place finish at the NCAA South/Southeast Regional Tournament. Giovanni Manzoni moved up the leaderboard on the final day to become the third men's golfer in program history to win individual honors at the NCAA Regional.
The Fighting Knights win the South/Southeast Regional for the first time since 2016, when it took first place at Mission Inn Resort & Club, and the third time overall. Lynn now qualifies for the NCAA Division II National Championship hosted at the Resort at Glades Springs in Daniels, W. Va., from Monday, May 20, thru Friday, May 24.
Both the men's and women's golf teams swept team and individual honors at the NCAA Regional for the first time in school history.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Result: 1st of 20 teams
Location: Mission Inn Resort & Club – El Campeon Course | Howie-in-the-Hills, Fla.
History at Event: 17th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance (won at Mission Inn in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn was determined on the final day, shooting four-under par for a tournament-best third round 284 and 869 54-hole total to beat third-ranked West Florida (878) by nine-strokes. Joining the Blue and White and Argonauts in West Virigina are top-ranked Barry (883), Florida Southern (894), South Carolina-Aiken (895), Lincoln Memorial (895) and Saint Leo (901).
- Manzoni was brilliant in victory, shooting a final round three-under par 69 for a three round total of 213. He tied with LMU's Sam Broadhurst in total score but his final round was two-strokes better than Broadhurst and served as the championship tiebreaker.
- Toto Gana snuck into the top-10 by shooting a final round three-under 69, for a 219 total. The First Team All-Sunshine State Conference selection knocked down five birdies to go with two bogeys.
- Villar matched Gana with a 219 total to tie for 10th place. After a tough opening round, Villar played even par golf.
- Bustos had a quality final round until the last hole. He shot 73 overall and was three over at the turn but birdied four of the next seven holes to move to one-under, only to double-bogey No. 18. He finished 14th individually (221).
- Agustin Errazuriz looked to have found his stroke after going one-under through three holes but bogeys on each of the next five holes brought him to four over. Seven pars, a birdie and a bogey ended his day with a 76 and 230 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn previously won NCAA South/Southeast Regionals in 2016 and 2011.
- Andy Walker joins Andrew Danna and Chris Greenwood with four victories in their first season at the helm of the Fighting Knights.
- Walker, though, is the first coach in program history to win the NCAA South/Southeast Regional in his first campaign. Greenwood took second in 2006 and Danna fifth in 2013.
- Manzoni joins Manuel Torres (2016) and Ricardo Gouveia (2011) as the only golfers in Lynn history to win the regional tournament. He is the second freshman to win after Gouveia.
- His 213 is his third-best score of the season. He now has three top-five finishes in six spring tournaments.
- Gana earned his seventh top-10 finish of the season. This new career-high ties him for seventh in program history for a single season. It also gives him 15 for his career, which puts him in sole possession of sixth at Lynn.
- Villar earns his fourth top-10 of the year, and first since the Matlock Invitational Feb. 12.
- Lynn captured the best par 4 scoring (+1) and most pars (166), was second in total birdies (45) and third in par 3 scoring (+12).
- In addition to winning the tournament, Manzoni led the field in par 4 scoring (-4) and was tied for second in par 3 scoring (-1).
- Bustos was tied for second in total pars (37) while Villar was tied for third in par 5 scoring (-5).
Lynn is off to the NCAA Division II Men's Golf National Championship hosted at the Resort at Glades Springs in Daniels, W. Va., from Monday, May 20, thru Friday, May 24. Fans will be able to follow live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.