Daniels, W. Va. - Lynn University's men's golf team started its title defense Monday afternoon, shooting four-over par in the opening round of the 2019 NCA Division II National Championship. Freshman Agustin Errazuriz had the low round for the Fighting Knights and is tied for fifth individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-5th of 20 teams
Location: Cobb Course at Glade Springs | Daniels, W.Va.
History at Event: Seventh consecutive national championship appearance; 13th overall (2018 national champions at RTJ – The Shoals).
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Calm morning conditions gave way to windy afternoon. Teeing off at noon, the Blue and White managed the gusts to shoot 292 as a team. They trail Cal-State Monterey Bay (287) by five strokes. Arkansas Tech and Lincoln Memorial are tied at 288 followed by Missouri-St. Louis (290), Lynn, Dixie State (292), West Florida (293) and Trevecca Nazarene and Barry (294).
- Errazuriz rebounded from a forgettable South/Southeast Regional to post the lowest round on the squad. His one-under 71 is four behind Arkansas Tech's Shawn Tsai (-5). The Chilean freshman began with a birdie and went lower with an eagle on fifth hole par 5. After hitting the turn even par, Errazuriz knocked down two more birds and a bogey.
- Jorge Villar is just outside the top-10 after shooting an even par 72. He traded four bogeys with four birdies, including on the 18th hole after nearly hitting his tee shot out of bounds. His approach brought him to within 100 yards and he stuck the chip shot to within 10 feet for a solid bird attempt.
- Toto Gana fired a two-over 74. He overcame an opening double-bogey and being four-over par after 10 holes to birdie three of his final seven holes.
- Carlos Bustos sank four birdies compared to seven bogeys for a three-over 75 and Giovanni Manzoni shot a 76.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Errazuriz is the first freshman at Lynn since Ricardo Gouveia (2011) to shoot at least one-under par in the opening round of the NCAA National Championship.
- Lynn, Arkansas Tech and West Florida share the lead in par 5 scoring (-7) while Arkansas Tech (18) is the only school with more birdies than the Fighting Knights (15).
- Gana shares the lead in par 3 scoring at two-under par.
- Errazuriz is one of eight golfers with an eagle.
- Lynn is trying to become the first repeat champion since Barry in 2013-14.
- The Sunshine State Conference has won each of the last seven national titles.
Lynn is back on the course with a 7:30 a.m. tee time off the No. 10 hole. The Fighting Knights are paired with Dixie State and Lindenwood. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.