Daniels, W. Va. – The course conditions were perfect and Lynn University's men's golf team was motivated to show they were one of the best teams in the nation. These two ingredients led the Fighting Knights to an eye-popping 11-under par day to move into second place at the NCAA Division II National Championship.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 20 teams
Location: Cobb Course at Glade Springs | Daniels, W.Va.
History at Event: Seventh consecutive national championship appearance; 13th overall (2018 national champions at RTJ – The Shoals).
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Only Barry (566) shot lower than the Blue and White (569) to take a three shot lead. The two Sunshine State Conference institutions combined to fire 27-under par. West Florida (574) kept the top-three ranked teams atop the leaderboard.
- In the hunt for the remaining five match play positions are Arkansas Tech (577), Grand Valley State (580), Missouri St. Louis (581), Lincoln Memorial (581), Dixie State (582) and Florida Southern (582).
- Bustos logged the clean card with five birdies and 13 pars for a five-under 67. He is now tied for 11th individually, four behind the leader, Sam Broadhurst of Lincoln Memorial.
- Manzoni was nearly as impressive with his 67. He birdied four of his first six holes and seven of nine but also recorded one bogey, on his eighth hole. The freshman was also one-under on his last nine holes.
- Toto Gana shot a three-under par 69 with six birdies and two bogeys.
- Jorge Villar ended Lynn's scoring with a two-over 74. He would triple bogey his third hole and battled back to even par over his next 11 holes but hit bogeys on two of his last four holes.
- Agustin Errazuriz shot a four-over 76, despite making 10 consecutive pars to start the day.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn and Barry shot 27-under par while the rest of the field was +51.
- Bustos, Grand Valley's Alex Scott (65) and Dixie State's Niklaus Britt (69) had clean scorecards in the second round.
- Lynn had 21 birdies on the day.
- Bustos, Gana and Manzoni were the top three finishers for Lynn on day two but were the lowest three finishers in the opening round. The combined to improve 22-strokes from the previous day.
- The top eight teams following 54-holes advance to the championship match play.
Lynn is back on the course with a 12:55 p.m. tee time off the No. 1 hole. The Fighting Knights are paired with Barry and West Florida. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.