Daniels, W. Va. – Lynn University's men's golf team has found itself in familiar territory; qualifying for the NCAA Division II National Championship match play. The Fighting Knights earned the No. 2 seed by virtue of finishing second after 54-holes of stroke play. This will be the eighth match play appearance for the defending national champions, most in NCAA DII history.
Toto Gana earned NCAA All-Tournament recognition after tying for fourth individually and was later named a First Team All-American by the Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA). Agustin Errazuriz and Giovanni Manzoni were also selected GCAA Freshmen All-Americans.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 20 teams
Location: Cobb Course at Glade Springs | Daniels, W.Va.
History at Event: Seventh consecutive national championship appearance; 13th overall (2018 national champions at RTJ – The Shoals).
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue and White started the day on fire, shooting six-under par as a team, but cooled in the afternoon to finish with a four-under par 283. Lynn (846) was 11-under overall and ended stroke play seven shots back of top-ranked Barry (846).
- The rest of the top-eight is West Florida (862), Florida Southern (866), Trevecca Nazarene (869), Arkansas Tech (870), Cal State Monterey Bay (873) and Lincoln Memorial (874).
- Lynn squares off against No. 7 seed CSMB in match play. Barry plays No. 8 Lincoln Memorial, No. 3 West Florida vs. No. 6 Arkansas Tech and No. 4 FSC vs. No. 5 Trevecca Nazarene.
- Gana concluded the tournament with a four-under par 212 total. He nearly recorded the clean scorecard with four birdies through 12 holes but a bogey on No. 17 was the lone blemeish.
- Manzoni continued his stellar play during his freshman campaign with a final round 71. He shot a two-under 214 to tie for 11th. He would birdie two of his first five holes and then bogey hole No. 6 before notching 12 straight pars.
- Errazuriz was the last of the Fighting Knights to shoot under par on the day with his one-under par 71. He was four-under thru 15 holes but hit two into the drink on No. 16 before two pars ended his day.
- Bustos matched Errazuriz's 218 total over 54-holes to tie for 28th with Jorge Villar not far behind with a 219.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- This is Lynn's NCAA-best eighth championship match play appearance. Barry is second with seven appearances while Florida Southern is third with six.
- The Fighting Knights also own 11 match play victories, most in NCAA history and ahead of Nova Southeastern by two.
- This will be the second time Lynn has squared-off against Cal-State Monterey Bay, and the first time since the NCAA National Championship match in 2011.
- The winner of Lynn-CSMB will face the winner of West Florida-Arkansas Tech.
- The top-four ranked teams in the nation (Barry, Lynn, West Florida & Florida Southern) finished one-thru-four in the standings.
- Five teams from the South/Southeast Region finished in the top eight (Barry, Lynn, West Florida, Florida Southern and Lincoln Memorial).
- Gana becomes the first golfer in program history to earn Freshman, Second Team and First Team All-America honors in a career.
- Gana also joins Daniel Young and Mateo Gomez as the only golfers to claim multiple top-10 finishes in the national championship.
- Lynn led the field in par 3 scoring (+4) and total pars (173), was second in par 5 scoring (-20) and third in par 4 scoring (+17) and total birdies (51).
- Gana was among three golfers to share the lead in par 3 scoring (-3) while Manzoni was tied for fourth in total pars (38).
Lynn hits the links beginning at 8:20 a.m. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com