Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. - Lynn University's top-ranked men's golf team had a solid second round but falter over the final 18 holes to finish fifth at the NSU Shark Invitational. Giovanni Manzoni paced the squad with a fourth-place finish.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standings: 5th of 11 teams
Location: PGA National – Champion Course | Palm Beach Gardens, Fla..
Par / Yardage: 72 / 6,815
History at Event: 12th appearance (won in 2016 and 2010)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A second round one-under par 287 pulled Lynn near the top of the leaderboard only to shot 295 over the final round. Keiser (860) was four-under for the tournament in taking the win with West Florida (866), Georgia Southwestern (868) and Florida Tech (880), ahead of the Blue and White.
- Manzoni shot identical rounds of two-under par 70 over the final 36-holes, giving him a 54-hole total of 212.
- Jorge Villar locked in an even par 72 in the second round with a three-over 75 in round three. His 223 total put him into a tie for 17th.
- Justin Wynen turned it around following the first round to shoot scores of 73-73 on the final day. His 224 tied him for 20th.
- Toto Gana shot 228 with Tyrone Clarke adding a 241.
- Mariano Ayora Gomez put forth a 228, tying for 32nd and finishing second among the individual golfers. Guillermo Casares shot a 236 over 54-holes.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- This is Manzoni's fourth career top-five finish.
- Lynn was tied for the lead in the field with 156 pars and third in par 3 scoring (+16).
- Gomez tied for second in par 3 scoring (E) and Manzoni was third in par 4 scoring (-1).
- Villar led the field with 40 par putts and Manzoni was third with 13 birdies.
Lynn is back in action Monday, Oct. 14, when the team participates in the Copperhead Championship at the Innisbrook Resort-Copperhead Course in Tampa, Fla. Check out LynnFightingKnights.com for more information.