Miami, Fla. – Lynn University's sixth-ranked men's golf team closed out the fall in magnificent fashion by taking first place at the Miami Intercollegiate. Four members of the Fighting Knights finished in the top-11 with Toto Gana leading the pack as runner-up, tying the school record for top-10 finishes in a career.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Results: 1st of 8 teams
Location: Doral Golf Resort | Doral, Fla.
History at Event: Second appearance (finished 5th in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn ended the tournament with a final day three-over par 283 but finished five-under overall (835). Washburn (859) placed second followed by Southern Wesleyan (863) and Nova Southeastern (866).
- Gana shot two-under par on the afternoon for a six-under par 204. He placed second overall.
- Carlos Bustos was just behind his teammate, finishing third with a three-under par 207.
- Jorge Villar snuck into the top-10, tying for eighth with a three-over par 213.
- Giovanni Manzoni made a late push to get into the top-10 but ended in a tie for 11th with a 215 total.
- Justin Wynen closed out the Blue and White contingent with a 220 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- This is the sixth victory for Lynn under head coach Andy Walker.
- Lynn has won 53 tournaments in school history.
- The Fighting Knights also won their final fall tournament last year.
- This is the second top-10 finish of the season for Gana and Bustos and first of the year for Villar.
- Gana now has 19 career top-10 finishes, tying him with Mateo Gomez for first in program history.
Lynn returns to action after the New Year, taking part in The Matlock Invitational in Lakeland, Fla., beginning on Monday, Feb. 10, at the Lone Palm Golf Club. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.