BOCA RATON, Fla. – Under a heavy downpour at Bobby Campbell Stadium Saturday night, the Lynn University lacrosse team opened up its 2016 campaign with a program-record for goals scored in a 21-5 victory over Palm Beach Atlantic.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 21, PBA 5
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue & White offense was rolling right from the start, putting eight in the back of the net before PBA could notch a goal.
- Johnny Gavin tallied the first score of the new season, three minutes into the contest.
- Mikey Urso fired in back-to-back goals in less than a minute span to give Lynn a 5-0 edge after the first quarter.
- Anthony Rainone opened up the scoring in the second quarter with his second and third goals of the game, before Peter Masters' tally put Lynn up 8-0.
- PBA recorded consecutive strikes to get on the scoreboard, but the momentum didn't last long as Lynn went on a 4-0 scoring run. PBA hit one more in the final minute of the half as Lynn held a 12-3 advantage at the intermission.
- The Sailfish tallied two quick scores at the onset of the second half but their night would end there offensively. Lynn held PBA out of the back of their net for the final 26 minutes of the contest.
- Lynn closed out with the final eight goals, including three more for Urso.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn had 10 different players record goals on the night and seven tallied at least one assist.
- Urso finished with a game-high six goals, tying Rainone's single-game school record set last season.
- Rainone was not far behind with four goals himself, followed by Ryan Madigan with a hat-trick and Gavin with two.
- Austin Jerhoff and Rainone combined for seven of the team's 12 assists.
- First-year Fighting Knight Christopher Lasprogata was a force in the middle of the field, winning 24 faceoffs and 13 groundballs.
- Pat Brothers and Taylor Ferrino combined for seven saves in net to help Lynn to victory.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn has defeated PBA in each of the last two season openers with a combined score of 38-10.
- The Fighting Knights' 21 goals in a game is the most in program history.
The Fighting Knights will play at home again on Saturday, Feb. 13 for the last time until the middle of March. Lynn hosts Shorter at 2 p.m. from Bobby Campbell Stadium.