BOCA RATON, Fla. – The weather conditions were completely opposite from the season-opener but the outcome was similar as a 9-1 lead at halftime was enough for the Lynn University lacrosse team to post its second comfortable victory at home this season. The Fighting Knights took down Shorter University 15-6 from Bobby Campbell Stadium on Saturday afternoon, starting off the season 1-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 15, Shorter 6
Records: Lynn (1-0), Shorter (1-1)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Tied 1-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn tallied all five of the goals in the opening quarter, including two apiece from Stephen Polsinelli and Anthony Rainone. Polsinelli lit up the scoreboard less than a minute into the contest.
- Tyler Janvrin found Ryan Madigan for the first strike of the second frame, followed by two unassisted goals from Johnny Gavin and Jacob Van Leenen as the Fighting Knights built an 8-0 advantage.
- Each side put one in the back of the net in the final 10 minutes of the half to give Lynn a 9-1 lead heading into the locker room.
- Shorter got on the board first in the second half on a goal from Tyler Kristiansen.
- The squads traded blows for the remainder of the third quarter, ending the period with a 12-4 contest.
- Penalties on both teams flooded the fourth and final quarter, but the Fighting Knights were able to capitalize with two man-up goals from Austin Jerhoff and Gavin.
- Mikey Urso scored and assisted on the final two goals of the game, securing Lynn the 15-6 triumph.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Urso led the attack with a hat-trick and two helpers.
- Four Fighting Knights put away two goals apiece (Rainone, Gavin, Polsinelli, Jerhoff).
- Lynn held a massive 51-20 shot advantage over Shorter.
- Janvrin matched Urso with a game-high two assists.
- Christopher Lasprogata had another solid outing in the middle of the field, going 18-of-24 on faceoffs with four groundballs.
- Cody Bartusiak anchored the defensive effort with five caused turnovers while keeper Pat Brothers recorded 14 stops in net to pick up his second win of the season.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Shorter defeated Lynn 14-9 back in 2014 during the inaugural season of Fighting Knights lacrosse.
- Urso led the Fighting Knights in scoring in both games so far this season.
The Fighting Knights won't play at home again until the middle of March as they embark on a six-game road stretch up the east coast. Lynn squares off against Mount Olive on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 2 p.m.