Mount Olive, N.C. – Lynn University's lacrosse squad went into Saturday's road contest with a focused and fiery mindset after last season's result at home against the University of Mount Olive. This time around was much different as the Fighting Knights came out rolling in the third quarter after a 5-2 halftime deficit, ultimately defeating the 12th-ranked Trojans 10-8 for the team's first win over a nationally-ranked opponent in program history.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 10, Mount Olive 8
Records: Lynn (2-0), #12 Mount Olive (4-1)
Location: Amon Field | Mount Olive, N.C.
Series: Tied 1-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The home team lit up the scoreboard first, but the Fighting Knights quickly answered back with two goals in a 10-second span.
- Johnny Gavin found Mikey Urso behind the net, who jumped in front through a trio of UMO defenders and buried Lynn's first goal of the game.
- Greg Onofri, seeing his first career action in the Blue & White, won the ensuing faceoff and took it to the house himself to notch another goal 10 seconds later.
- The Trojans knotted the score at 2-2 at the 3:02 mark and then tallied the go-ahead goal in the final 30 seconds of the opening stanza.
- Turnovers and penalties limited the Fighting Knights in the second quarter.
- The Trojans capitalized on two Lynn flags, recording two man-up goals to garner a 5-2 edge at halftime.
- The Blue & White certainly put the second quarter performance behind them as they came out of the intermission guns blazing.
- Austin Jerhoff tallied the first goal of the second half one minute it off a Tyler Janvrin helper that would initiate a 5-0 scoring run for the Fighting Knights.
- Stephen Polsinelli scored unassisted at the 11:51 mark, followed by Jerhoff striking again 30 seconds later off an Anthony Rainone pass to tie the game at 5-5.
- Gavin gave Lynn its first lead of the day with 7:21 remaining and Brian Kiel expanded the advantage to two a few minutes later.
- UMO, rattled but the offensive outburst, saved the period with an unassisted goal near the end of the third.
- The sides trades goals in a tense final period. Gavin started off the scoring with a man-up goal off a dish from Urso.
- UMO scored its seventh with under 10 to play, but the Fighting Knights countered with their ninth and 10th goals of the game.
- Urso made it 9-7 with the help of Jerhoff on an odd-man rush , then Jerhoff found Urso again wide open in front of an empty net for the hat trick with 1:02 left.
- The Trojans stormed up the field for one more in the final minute, but it was too little too late as the Blue & White exited with the 10-8 victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Urso led all players with the hat trick, adding an assist and three groundballs.
- Jerhoff finished with two goals and a game-high three assists, while Gavin also tallied two goals and a helper.
- Onofri and Christopher Lasprogata shared time representing Lynn on the faceoff, helping the Fighting Knights secure 14-of-22.
- Pat Brothers made 11 stops to earn the win in between the pipes and chipped in three groundballs.
- Travis Quillin was the only player to record multiple caused turnovers in the game.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn is the first team to score in double figures against Mount Olive this season.
- Lynn's Shaun McDonald shadowed preseason All-American and UMO's leading goal-scorer Matt Shields all contest, limiting him to two goals on seven attempts. The Trojans' attacker also committed a team-high three turnovers.
- Neither team failed on a clear attempt in the game. Lynn went 14-for-14 while UMO was 11-for-11.
- Urso has led the team in scoring in every game this season.
The Fighting Knights wrap up the two-game road trip on Monday, Feb. 29 with a 2 p.m. matchup at Coker College in Hartsvile, S.C.