Winter Park, Fla. – Utilizing a 6-0 run in the second quarter, the 18th-ranked Lynn University lacrosse team controlled the game throughout in a 14-7 victory over No. 20 Rollins College on Saturday afternoon in Sunshine State Conference action. The Fighting Knights pick up their first league win of the season along with the program's first-ever over the Tars.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 14, Rollins 7
Records: #18 Lynn (8-3, 1-1 SSC), #20 Rollins (7-4, 1-1 SSC)
Location: Barker Family Stadium (Cahall Sandspur Field)| Winter Park, Fla.
All-time Series: Rollins leads 2-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights opened up the scoring a minute into the contest, working the ball around the horn until Mikey Urso finished down low.
- Lynn continued with high offensive pressure for the majority of the first period, but wasn't able to find the back of the net before the buzzer.
- Rollins came away with two goals in the final 2:30 to build its only lead of the game.
- The second quarter proved to be the turning point as the Fighting Knights rattled off six unanswered.
- Ryan Madigan initiated the run with a solid individual effort, beating his man one-on-one for an easy look.
- Johnny Gavin and Stephen Polsinelli fired in the next two back-to-back on similar plays, sending in long-range rips from the top.
- With a 4-2 lead, Pat Brothers made a big save on the defensive end and pushed a quick transition. The Rollins defense broke down completely as Austin Jerhoff found the back of the net.
- Anthony Rainone received a pass from Urso behind the cage, releasing high and shelfing the keeper from point blank.
- Madigan started the run and ultimately capped it, notching Lynn's first man-up goal of the night.
- Three quick goals and a 10-3 lead for the Fighting Knights at the onset of the second half completely deflated the home side, forcing a personnel change in between the pipes.
- Brian Kiel beat the keeper at his feet followed by Madigan securing his hat trick on another solo effort.
- Jerhoff slung a pass through the Rollins defense to a wide open Rainone for Lynn's 10th.
- The Tars struck first in the final frame, but Urso countered with a highlight-reel backhander. Jerhoff followed it up with a man-up score.
- Urso found Peter Masters streaking up the middle to build a 13-7 edge with Jerhoff and Tyler Janvrin connecting to cap off the scoring in the final minute.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Christopher Lasprogata had himself a day at the faceoff X, leading to a dominant offensive possession advantage for his squad. The sophomore won 17-of-20 attempts and secured a career-high 11 groundballs.
- Brothers played all 60 minutes in the cage, recording 14 saves and two groundballs in an impressive effort.
- Madigan and Jerhoff bolstered the offense with hat tricks while Jerhoff added two helpers for a game-high five points.
- Urso was right behind with two goals and two assists and Janvrin also finished with a multi-assist outing.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- It is the second win of the season over a nationally-ranked opponent.
- Rollins had its three-game winning streak snapped.
- Lynn has scored in double figures in six of the last seven games.
- The Fighting Knights recorded season-lows in groundballs (24) and caused turnovers (3).
Lynn hits the road again next Saturday, April 9 for an SSC matchup with Saint Leo at 2 p.m.