BOCA RATON, Fla. – It was a grim ending to a dreary Senior Night on Saturday as the 20th-ranked Lynn University lacrosse team dropped an 11-10 Sunshine State Conference contest in double overtime to the Florida Southern Mocs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Southern 11, Lynn 10 (2OT)
Records: Florida Southern (9-7, 2-2 SSC), #20 Lynn (8-5, 1-3 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: FSC leads 2-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- The Mocs got on the scoreboard first less than two minutes in but a three-goal response gave Lynn an early edge.
- Ryan Madigan put away the first on the night off a dish from Tyler Janvrin.
- Anthony Rainone buried a man-up score then found Austin Jerhoff a minute later.
- The second frame featured eight total goals, all coming in streaks.
- The Mocs recorded the first three and the last two of the period, with the Fighting Knights linking together three in between.
- Johnny Gavin and Brian Kiel found the back of the net before Jerhoff notched his second of the night.
- Coming out of the break behind 7-6, Mikey Urso knotted things up 20 seconds into the second half.
- After a scoring drought, FSC put away two unassisted in the final five minutes, but a Lynn tally from Stephen Polsinell made it a one-point game heading into the fourth.
- Rainone recorded his second man-up goal of the game followed by Jerhoff attaining a hat trick at the 7:54 mark to give Lynn its first lead of the second half, 10-9.
- Lucas Claude rose to the challenge for the Mocs and tied it up at 10-10 (3:17) to force overtime.
- FSC's Nick Gutmann found a lane and fired off a shot with under 10 seconds left in regulation, but Lynn keeper Pat Brothers made a big-time effort to turn away the likely game-winner.
- Lynn held a 3-1 shot advantage in the first overtime period but neither side could find the back of the net.
- The Blue & White won the opening draw and immediately called a timeout to set up, resulting in a barrage of shots over the next minute.
- FSC was able to gain possession and head the other way. After a scrum in front of the net, the Mocs kicked the ball out and around until Cody Gray was able to beat a Lynn defender and bury the game winner.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Jerhoff's five points (three goals, two assists) led the way with Rainone as the other multi-goal scorer. Janvrin also contributed two helpers.
- Freshmen Cody Bartusiak and Travis Quillin each had big time performances on the defensive end, combining for seven caused turnovers.
- Bouncing back after a down week, Christopher Lasprogata got after it on the faceoff, winning 13-of-15. Lynn held a 19-5 overall advantage over FSC.
- Brothers finished with 14 stops in net, along with four groundballs and two caused turnovers.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tonight marked the second overtime game in the program's history and the first to reach double overtime.
The Fighting Knights will close out the regular season in a must-win game on the road next Saturday, April 23 with a 3:30 p.m. contest at Florida Tech.