Melbourne, Fla. – Lynn University's lacrosse team didn't get the help it needed from around the conference for a final postseason push but the Fighting Knights still took care of business on Saturday afternoon, controlling Florida Tech wire-to-wire in a 10-6 victory to close out the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 10, Florida Tech 6
Records: Lynn (9-5, 2-3 SSC), Florida Tech (6-7, 1-4 SSC)
Location: Panther Stadium | Melbourne, Fla.
All-time Series: Florida Tech leads 2-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights got to it right away as Christopher Lasprogata won the opening faceoff, streaked down the field and buried his first goal of the season 10 seconds into the game.
- Lynn would control the time of the possession in the opening quarter, leading to a 4-0 cushion.
- Anthony Rainone put away the second goal in a man-up situation followed by Ryan Madigan finding the back of the net on a solo effort.
- With under five to go, the Florida Tech defense broke down as Mikey Urso approached the cage unguarded before slinging it across the crease to Rainone for the open shot.
- The Panthers strung together a pair of back-to-back goals early on in the second quarter, but that would be the closest they would get to Lynn for the remainder of the game.
- Following a Cody Bartusiak caused turnover, the Blue & White executed a swift transition with Jacob Van Leenen and Austin Jerhoff connecting for the score.
- The Fighting Knights kicked off the second half on a 3-0 run to build an 8-2 advantage and seemingly put the home team away.
- Brian Kiel opened up the second-half scoring with an outside rip before Madigan dished consecutive helpers to Urso and Jerhoff.
- A failed clear attempt from Lynn with five minutes to play led to an easy Panther goal.
- Madigan and Kiel each tallied their second goals of the day as Lynn jumped out to a 10-3 edge.
- Florida Tech managed three goals in the final 6:30 as Lynn took its foot of the gas but held off for the 10-6 victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Bartusiak had himself quite the day on the defensive end, breaking his own school record for caused turnovers in a game with six. The freshman also rounded up a team-high-tying four groundballs.
- Madigan led the way offensively with four points on two goals and two assists. Kiel, Jerhoff and Rainone each found the back of the net twice.
- Goalkeeper Pat Brothers posted seven saves and two groundballs in net to earn his eighth win of the season.
- Lynn was a solid 18-of-19 on clear attempts while limiting Florida Tech to a 14-of-23 effort.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The win marks the first-ever over Florida Tech and also notches Lynn's first nine-win season.
- Bartusiak finishes his freshman season with 30 caused turnovers, nearly doubling the previous school record for CT's in a season.
- Rainone closes out his two-year career at Lynn with 98 points, tying Jerhoff for the most in program history.
- The defense limited their opponent to six goals against or less for the sixth time this season.
- Lynn's 2-3 SSC record has them in a three-way tie with Florida Southern and Saint Leo for the final two playoff positions, but due to head-to-head losses against both squads, the Fighting Knights are the odd man out and see their season come to a close.