BOCA RATON, Fla. – A year ago saw Lynn University's lacrosse team post a plethora of program firsts, including its first win over a nationally-ranked opponent. The Fighting Knights took it up a notch on Saturday, garnering the school's first-ever victory over a Top-10 opponent with an exciting 9-7 triumph over No. 8 Adelphi University. Tied 7-7 early in the fourth quarter, Stephen Polsinelli and Nick Howard sealed the deal with back-to-back strikes with the Blue and White defense fending off the comeback down the stretch.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 9, #8 Adelphi 7
Records: Lynn (2-0), #8 Adelphi (1-1)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 1-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Polsinelli, Howard and Brian Kiel led the way offensively with two goals apiece. Down 6-4 late in the third, Kiel bookended a three-goal run for Lynn that garnered the momentum heading into the final period.
- Johnny Gavin, Mikey Urso and Austin Jerhoff accounted for the remaining three Lynn goals.
- Sean Escalante, Conrad Rhein and Dryden Brous all picked up an assist. Brous also went 6-of-10 on the faceoff with a team-high five groundballs.
- Collin McClelland made nine stops through 60 minutes in the cage to earn the win. He added three groundballs.
- Travis Quillin and John Flanary both recorded two caused turnovers.
- Lynn has three wins over ranked opponents in program history. No. 20 Rollins and No. 12 Mount Olive in 2016 and now No. 8 Adelphi.
- Senior defender Shaun McDonald played an unheralded role, holding AU's All-American Gordon Purdie, Jr. to four shots with no goals or assists along with two turnovers.
- Howard, a sophomore, recorded the first two goals of his Lynn career.
The Fighting Knights will have next weekend off before traveling to Roswell, Ga. on March 4 for a 4 p.m. contest against Young Harris.