BOCA RATON, Fla. – A natural hat trick from Austin Jerhoff, capped by a goal with one second left in the first half, sent the Lynn University lacrosse team into the locker room with a momentum-garnering 6-5 lead on Saturday evening. The 17th-ranked Fighting Knights held a 10-9 advantage with 10 minutes to go but the visiting Florida Tech Panthers tallied the final two scores of the game to hand the Blue and White a heartbreaking 11-10 defeat in the first Sunshine State Conference game of the season. Lynn held the game in honor of the One Love Foundation's Yards for Yeardley movement, an initiative spreading awareness on relationship abuse.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Tech 11, Lynn 10
Records: Florida Tech (5-4, 1-0 SSC), #17 Lynn (4-4, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Florida Tech leads 3-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Jerhoff and Mikey Urso combined for six of Lynn's 10 goals in the game.
- Jerhoff led the offensive effort with three goals and three assists on four shots. All three of his goals came in the final 3:30 of the second quarter.
- Urso logged his second straight hat trick and added an assist for a four-point game.
- LSM's Caleb Cerf and Travis Quillin each buried a goal. Cerf opened up the scoring with a goal 20 seconds into the game, marking his first score since his freshman season.
- Sophomore Conor Vaughan recorded the first goal of his Blue and White career.
- Johnny Gavin netted a man-up goal in the first quarter, his 11th score of the season.
- Lynn collected 37 groundballs with five Fighting Knights logging four or more. Dryden Brous led the way with seven, followed by Collin McClelland (5), Gavin (4), Cerf (4) and Urso (4).
- Brous had another strong showing at the X, winning 82% (14-17) of his faceoffs. He has 29 wins over the past two games.
- Tom Sharp recorded two caused turnovers – a career-high – including a clutch takeaway during a man-down situation.
- McClelland was issued the loss in the cage, but made 10 stops, marking his fourth game this season in double figures.
- Lynn's last three games have all been decided by one goal.
- Over the past two games, Jerhoff has seven goals and four assists while Urso has six goals and five assists.
- Vaughan has recorded a point in every game he has played this season.
- Lynn committed a season-low 10 turnovers.
- Florida Tech has won four straight games.
- Just through this week, the Yards for Yeardley campaign accounted for 1.7 million yards walked, shattering the goal of one million. The individual challenge winner logged an impressive 420,000 alone.
Lynn hits the road next Saturday, April 1, for a big SSC matchup at the University of Tampa. Game is slated to start at 3 p.m.