Tampa, Fla. – Lynn University's lacrosse team battled a tough University of Tampa squad in the first half to a manageable 6-5 deficit at the break. A scoring drought from the Fighting Knights in the third quarter however allowed the 13th-ranked Spartans to create separation en route to an 18-7 Sunshine State Conference victory over the Blue and White on a hot Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 18, Lynn 7
Records: #13 Tampa (9-3, 2-0 SSC), Lynn (4-5, 0-2 SSC)
Location: Naimoli Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads 5-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Mikey Urso logged his third consecutive hat trick to lead the offensive attack. He fired off five shots with the three hitting the frame also finding the back of the net.
- Johnny Gavin, Austin Jerhoff and Stephen Polsinelli all recorded a goal with Nick Howard tallying a man-up goal in the fourth quarter.
- Gavin dished Lynn's only assist on the day, marking the team's first game with only one helper since the 2015 season finale.
- Defensively, Cody Bartusiak (3) and Greg Morissette (2) each posted season-highs in caused turnovers.
- Mark Pryor caused a turnover and recorded a team- and season-high four groundballs.
- Dryden Brous and Christopher Lasprogata each won five faceoffs apiece.
- Collin McClelland made seven saves in net and picked up two groundballs.
- Lynn didn't win the faceoff battle for the first time this season.
- Tampa held Lynn to a season-low 26 shots for the game. Lynn averages over 40 shots per game.
- Urso has nine goals over the last three games and 19 points over the past four.
- Lynn had less turnovers than the Spartans.
- Tampa is ranked No. 13 in this week's USILA Coaches Poll and No. 11 by US Lacrosse.
Lynn returns home next Saturday, April 8 for a 5 p.m. SSC tilt against Rollins College.