BOCA RATON, Fla. – Trailing 10-6 with under 10 minutes to play at home on Saturday, the Lynn University lacrosse team utilized a 5-1 tear – including Johnny Gavin's game-tying strike with 22 seconds left – to close out regulation and force overtime against Rollins College. The Fighting Knights had a late man-up opportunity but were unable to convert before the Tars buried the game winner for a 12-11 Sunshine State Conference victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Rollins 12, Lynn 11
Records: Rollins (7-5, 2-1 SSC), Lynn (4-6, 0-3 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Rollins leads 3-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Gavin had Lynn's first and last goals of the day, opening up the scoring immediately off the first draw six seconds into the game. He finished with a hat trick on five shots, along with three groundballs.
- Austin Jerhoff also tallied three goals and three groundballs.
- Nick Howard, Stephen Polsinelli and Brian Kiel all recorded one-goal, one-assist games with Conrad Rhein and Greg Morissette rounding out the Fighting Knights' goals scorers.
- Mikey Urso and Peter Masters each slotted an assist while faceoff specialist Dryden Brous picked up the first multi-point game of his career with two helpers.
- Along with his offensive contributions, Brous shined at the X, winning 14-of-20 faceoffs while recording a game-high and career-high-tying nine groundballs.
- Starting defenders John Flanary and Cody Bartusiak each recorded two caused turnovers.
- Three of Lynn's six losses this year have been by one goal.
- Four of the last five games for Lynn have been decided by one goal.
- Urso now has 18 assists on the year, tying Gavin's single-season record from 2015.
- Lynn won the faceoff battle for the ninth time this season (17-10).
- Brous won seven of his eight faceoff attempts in the fourth quarter.
- Lynn's first and last goals of the game were nearly identical, with Brous picking the draw clean, streaking through the middle and finding Gavin outside on the corner for a rip.
- Brous now has three games this season with 14 or more faceoff wins.
- Lynn is 0-2 in overtime games this season and 0-4 all-time.
- Rollins bested Lynn in the saves department, 14-3.
The Blue and White have their final home game of the season next Saturday, April 15 at 1 p.m. for Senior Day against the Saint Leo Lions.