BOCA RATON, Fla. – Tied 8-8 after three periods of play, Lynn University's lacrosse team took over in the final 15 minutes with a 5-0 scoring run to put away Saint Leo University on Saturday in a pivotal Sunshine State Conference matchup, 13-8. The Fighting Knights hosted Senior Day festivities before the opening faceoff, honoring the 11-man senior class of Johnny Gavin, Thomas Sharp, Angelo Beacon-Paglia, Caleb Cerf, Tully Wise, Rob DeSimone, Chase Ostermann, Shaun McDonald, Brian Kiel, Austin Jerhoff and Jacob Lipani.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 13, Saint Leo 8
Records: Lynn (5-6, 1-3 SSC), Saint Leo (9-4, 1-3 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Series tied 2-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Gavin carried the weight offensively with five points behind a career-high-tying four goals and an assist. He scored Lynn's first and last goals of the game along with three clutch scores in the fourth quarter. Gavin also picked up five groundballs.
- Jerhoff and Mikey Urso each finished with two goals, an assist and three groundballs.
- Nick Howard notched a man-up goal in the first quarter and gave Lynn a 6-5 lead heading into the break with a goal at the end of the second.
- Kiel and Stephen Poslinelli had one-goal, one-assist games with middie Greg Morissette finding the back of the net in transition.
- Wise, Dryden Brous and Colin O'Hara all tacked on helpers.
- Brous had another incredible showing at the X, taking every faceoff on the day for Lynn. He won 19 of the 24 draws, marking a career-high for wins, and tied his career-high yet again with nine groundball pickups. Beacon-Paglia played a big role in the team's faceoff success, scooping up a career-high-tying six groundballs.
- Collin McClelland earned the win in the cage, going the full 60 minutes with eight stops and six groundballs.
- The Fighting Knights nearly doubled the Lions on shots, 50-27.
- Gavin tied his career-high for goals in a game, last notching four against North Greenville in 2015.
- Lynn stayed out of the penalty box for the entire game for the first time in program history.
- Urso notched his 19th assist this season, breaking Gavin's single-season school record from 2015.
- Beacon-Paglia picked up the 93rd groundball of his career, moving into second place all-time at Lynn.
- Both teams were perfect on the clear.
- Lynn's 50 shots is the most in a game this season.
- There were no faceoff violations called in the entire game.
- Brous' 19 faceoff wins is two shy of the single-game school record.
- Saint Leo is slotted No. 16 in this week's US Lacrosse Magazine rankings. Both SLU and Lynn are receiving votes in the USILA Coaches Poll.
Lynn hits the road for its final game of the regular season, taking on Florida Southern on Saturday, April 22 at 7 p.m. with a potential postseason spot on the line.