Lakeland, Fla. – With the rest of the Sunshine State Conference already having played earlier in the day, Lynn University's lacrosse team knew the circumstances for postseason going into Saturday's regular-season finale – win then hope for a little luck. The Fighting Knights posted the win, going on the road and defeating Florida Southern, 11-8. Now for the luck. Lynn is in a three-way tie with FSC and Rollins for the final two spots in the SSC Tournament, which will be determined tomorrow by coin flips.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 11, Florida Southern 8
Records: Lynn (6-6-, 2-3 SSC), Florida Southern (7-7, 2-3 SSC)
Location: Bryant Stadium | Lakeland, Fla.
All-time Series: Series tied 2-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- The Mocs netted the first two goals of the game before Lynn fired off a five-goal run through into the middle of the second quarter and never gave back the lead throughout.
- Austin Jerhoff buried a game-high four goals to lead the offensive charge, his fifth hat trick of the year and third four-goal game.
- Nick Howard registered three points behind two goals and an assist.
- Conor Vaughan only took two shots in the game, making both of them count as the sophomore tallied two unassisted scores for the first multi-point game of his career.
- Mikey Urso found the back of the net twice and Brian Kiel scored his 11th goal of the year.
- Johnny Gavin, Dryden Brous, Travis Quillin and Stephen Polsinelli all logged assists.
- Brous picked up right where he left off last week with more dominant play, going 15-of-20 on faceoffs (75%) along with eight ground balls. Christopher Lasprogata tacked on a 2-for-3 effort as Lynn controlled the faceoff battle yet again, 17-6.
- Freshman Collin McClelland came up big in the cage, recording a career-high-tying 16 saves.
- Defensive midfielders Angelo Beacon-Paglia and Peter Masters combined for nine ground balls.
- Brous is the two-time defending SSC Specialist of the Week and the reigning USILA National Offensive Player of the Week.
- The Fighting Knights won the faceoff battle in 11 of their 12 games this year.
- Florida Southern was receiving votes in this week's USILA National Coaches Poll.
- Lynn spoiled Florida Southern's Senior Night. Last year, the Mocs did the same to Lynn in a double overtime game.
- Lynn and Florida Southern are 2-2 all-time against each other, with the visiting team winning every game.
The No. 3 and No. 4 seed in the SSC Tournament now comes down to a three-way coin flip between Lynn, FSC and Rollins as all three teams went 2-3 in league play this year and have gone 1-1 against each other. The coin flips will take place at noon tomorrow, April 23, at the SSC tennis championships in Bradenton, Fla.