BOCA RATON, Fla. – A lackluster showing at Wingate University a year ago left Lynn University's lacrosse team with vengeance on its mind Saturday afternoon and a five-goal tear in the second half lifted the Fighting Knights to a 14-9 triumph over the Bulldogs. The Blue and White trailed 8-7 with just under six minutes to play in the third quarter before Lynn's offense put away five straight to pull away and secure the nonconference win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 14, Wingate 9
Records: Lynn (3-1), Wingate (1-3)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Tied 1-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Stephen Polsinelli, Nick Howard and Keegan Maxwell all recorded three goals apiece to carry Lynn's offensive attack. It is the first career hat trick for both Polsinelli and Maxwell while Howard added an assist for a four-point game.
- Mikey Urso, coming off a point-less outing on Wednesday, got back in the groove with two goals and an assist. Nick McCabe closed out today's scoring with an unassisted strike in the final minutes of regulation.
- Having scored six goals through the first three games, Xander Cosenza played a facilitator role, distributing the first three assists of his career.
- Not only did Dryden Brous log the first multi-goal game of his career with two scores, the sophomore FOGO went 16-of-23 on faceoffs and picked up a career-high 13 ground balls.
- Harrison Kaplan and Cody Bartusiak each caused two turnovers while Kaplan added two ground balls.
- Starting netminder Collin McClelland picked up his third win of the season, making five saves through the full 60 minutes.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Brous' 13 ground balls are the second most in a single game in program history. Christopher D'Angelo holds the record of 15 from the inaugural 2014 season.
- Wingate has been ranked as high as No. 12 this season in the USILA National Rankings.
- In all three wins this season, Lynn has scored 14 goals.
- Howard has tallied eight goals this week over two games.
- Polsinelli has now notched 2+ goals in three of Lynn's four games so far this year and has scored at least once each time out.
- Last year at Wingate, Lynn scored just six goals and committed a season-high 21 turnovers.
Lynn wraps up a three-game home stretch this Wednesday, March 7, with a 4 p.m. nonconference tilt against Emmanuel (Ga.).