Tigerville, S.C. – Lynn University's lacrosse team utilized a balanced attack throughout a close nonconference contest at North Greenville on Saturday but no two goals were more critical than Nick McCabe's as the redshirt-freshman tied the game at 10-10 before burying the game-winner in overtime to give the Fighting Knights a clutch 11-10 victory on the road. The triumph marks the first overtime win in program history.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 11, North Greenville 10 (OT)
Records: Lynn (5-1), North Greenville (4-3)
Location: Pepsi Stadium | Tigerville, S.C.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 2-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- McCabe was one of two Fighting Knights to notch multi-goal performances. The freshman tallied the two most important goals of the game, scoring with 4:27 left in the fourth quarter to send the game to overtime before beating his man one-on-one and finding the back of the net for the game-winner with 26 seconds left in overtime. He added an assist for his first career three-point game while four of his five shot attempts hit the frame.
- Mikey Urso needed only three shots to tally two goals, scoring one in the first and third quarters, including the go-ahead to put Lynn up 8-7.
- Drew Custance, Xander Cosenza, Keegan Maxwell, Stephen Polsinelli, Nick Howard, Jared Chaloux and Chase Stokes all added goals for the Fighting Knights.
- Stokes rounded out a three-point game with two assists while Polsinelli recorded Lynn's final helper.
- Lynn won the faceoff battle, 15-8, with Dryden Brous going 13-for-20 and Christopher Lasprogata winning 2-of-3.
- Brous led the ground game with seven ground balls, followed by Greg Morissette with five.
- Collin McClelland picks up his fifth win of the season in the cage, playing all 64 minutes while making five saves.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- It is the first overtime win in program history. The Fighting Knights were 0-4 in overtime games through the first four seasons, including two losses last year and a double OT setback in 2016.
- Lynn improves to 1-1 on the road so far this season.
- These two teams met for the first time in 2015 with Lynn winning 16-6 in a neutral-site matchup.
- Custance and Chaloux each recorded their first career goals in the Blue and White.
- North Greenville scored the first three goals of the game and outscored the Fighting Knights in the fourth quarter, 3-1.
- Morissette has 10 ground balls over the past two games.
Lynn returns for its final home nonconference tilt of the season when the Fighting Knights host Westminster (Utah) this Tuesday, March 13 at 3 p.m.