BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's lacrosse team spent a good part of the afternoon in man-up situations and made the visiting Westminster College (Utah) Griffins pay as the Fighting Knights coasted to a 14-9 nonconference victory on Tuesday. The Blue and White tallied their fifth consecutive win, marking the best start to a season in program history.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 14, Westminster (Utah) 9
Records: Lynn (6-1), Westminster (Utah) (3-3)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: First-ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- A 7-2 scoring run for Lynn in the first quarter set the tone as the Fighting Knights controlled the pace of play the rest of the way.
- Mikey Urso had a massive game offensively, tallying a career-high-tying seven points behind two goals and a career-high five assists while all four of his shots hit the frame.
- Keegan Maxwell and Nick Howard carried the offensive load as both recorded hat tricks on the day.
- Conrad Rhein and Nick McCabe each logged multi-goal performances with McCabe adding an assist for his second consecutive three-point outing.
- Xander Cosenza and Stephen Polsinelli rounded out Lynn's goal scorers, with Polsinelli tacking on a helper.
- The Fighting Knights dominated the faceoff battle yet again, winning 19-of-26 attempts. Dryden Brous shouldered the lion's share, going 17-for-21 with a career-high-tying 13 ground balls and an assist.
- Collin McClelland had a solid day in the cage, tying his season high with nine saves while picking up his sixth win of the season.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- With 49 career assists, Urso passes Austin Jerhoff ('17) as the program's all-time career record holder for assists.
- Urso's five assists today ranks in a tie for second in the program's single-game record books.
- Lynn now boasts a 6-1 record, the best start to a season in program history. The Fighting Knights started off 5-1 in 2016.
- The Fighting Knights went a perfect 6-for-6 on extra-man opportunities, scoring a program-record six man-up goals.
- Lynn scored three consecutive man-up goals in under a minute of play during the fourth quarter.
- Maxwell has 3+ goals in three of the past four games.
- In four of the team's six wins the season, Lynn scored exactly 14 goals.
- The Griffins has a whopping 11 minutes of penalties on nine infractions.
Lynn hits the road for a big matchup this weekend, heading to No. 10 Belmont Abbey for a 12 p.m. contest on Saturday, March 17.