Belmont, N.C. – Freshman Xander Cosenza shined on the brightest of stages Saturday afternoon as the Lynn University lacrosse team went on the road and upset 10th-ranked Belmont Abbey College, 10-9. Cosenza scored five goals, including all four of Lynn's in the fourth quarter, as the Fighting Knights went on a 4-0 run in the final frame to secure the clutch comeback.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 10, Belmont Abbey 9
Records: Lynn (7-1), #10 Belmont Abbey (5-3)
Location: Alumni Field | Belmont, N.C.
All-time Series: First-ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Cosenza scored the first goal of the game, less than three minutes in, but was then kept silent until the fourth quarter. As Lynn trailed 9-6 heading into the final frame, Cosenza put the team on his back, scoring four unanswered goals by himself, to finish with a career-high five scores. Six of his nine shot attempts found the frame on the day.
- Nick Howard was active on offense with 10 shots as five hit the net. The junior midfielder logged a three-point game behind two goals and an assist.
- Stephen Polsinelli continued his streak of logging at least two points in every game this season as the senior buried the first two goals of the second half.
- Conrad Rhein tallied two points with a goal and assist while Mikey Urso and Chase Stokes added helpers.
- Dryden Brous went 15-for-21 on faceoffs and led all players on the field with 12 ground balls. It is his fifth game this season with 12+ ground balls.
- Collin McClelland made a season-high-tying nine saves for the second straight game and picked up five ground balls.
- Christian Jenkins led the defensive effort with a career-high-tying two caused turnovers.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Today's win marks the second-ever for Lynn over a top-10 opponent, joining last year's victory over No. 8 Adelphi. Lynn now has four wins over ranked opponents in program history, including No. 20 Rollins and No. 12 Mount Olive in 2016.
- With two today, two against Emmanuel (Ga.) and three in the season opener, Cosenza's seven man-up goals on the year currently leads the country.
- Lynn is off to a 7-1 record so far this season – the best start to a year in program history. The squad has also won six straight games for the first time ever.
- The Fighting Knights' seven wins are currently second most in the conference.
- With Sunshine State Conference play starting next week, Lynn's 7-1 record is the program's best-ever out-of-conference record for a season.
- Cosenza's five goals rank in a tie for second in the program's single-game record books. Four other Fighting Knights have tallied five goals in a game, including Howard earlier this season, with Anthony Rainone holding the record at six.
- Howard has registered multiple points in all but two games this season while Polsinelli has hit the mark all eight outings.
The Fighting Knights finally turn to conference play, first heading to Rollins for a 4 p.m. tilt on Saturday, March 24.