Winter Park, Fla. – Lynn University's 18th-ranked lacrosse team opened Sunshine State Conference play on Saturday and trailed 8-4 at Rollins College with under 1:30 to play. The Fighting Knights buried three straight goals in the final 90 seconds of regulation but it was too little too late as the Tars held on for an 8-7 victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Rollins 8, Lynn 7
Records: Rollins (3-3, 1-0 SSC), #18 Lynn (7-2, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Barker Family | Winter Park, Fla.
All-Time Series: Rollins leads 4-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Xander Cosenza was the only Fighting Knight to notch a multi-goal game, scoring one in the first quarter and one in the fourth. Three of his four shots on the day found the frame.
- Conrad Rhein, Stephen Polsinelli and Nick Howard all logged two points apiece behind a goal and an assist.
- Attackers Mikey Urso and Keegan Maxwell rounded out Lynn's goal scorers while Tyler Hopkins tallied an assist.
- Despite the loss, Collin McClelland had a big day in the cage, recording a season-high 13 saves.
- Dryden Brous had himself another all-star performance at the X, taking all 19 faceoffs and winning 15 (78.9%) while leading all players on the field with 10 ground balls.
- Peter Masters led the defensive effort with two caused turnovers and two ground balls.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Each of the past two matchups between these teams were decided by one goal as the Tars defeated Lynn last season in Boca Raton in overtime, 12-11.
- Lynn entered today's contest on a six-game winning streak.
- Brous now has double-digit ground balls in six of the team's nine games this season.
- Polsinelli has at least two points in every game this year.
- Drew Custance earned his second consecutive starting nod. He picked up three ground balls in today's game.
- McClelland logged double-digit saves for the first time this season.
- It was a rather clean game with just three called penalties between the two sides.
- Lynn failed to score 10+ goals for just the second time this season.
- The Fighting Knights didn't record a man-up goal for the first time this year.
Lynn will host its first SSC bout of the season next Saturday, March 31, when Florida Southern comes to town at 7 p.m.