BOCA RATON, Fla. – Sophomore faceoff specialist Dryden Brous gave his squad ample possession opportunities on Saturday night but six goals in the fourth quarter from visiting Florida Southern College granted the Mocs a 14-12 Sunshine State Conference victory over Lynn University's lacrosse team. Brous won 23 faceoffs on the night and picked up 17 ground balls, setting two single-game program records.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Southern 14, Lynn 12
Records: Florida Southern (7-3, 2-0 SSC), Lynn (7-3, 0-2 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: FSC leads 3-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Mikey Urso had himself a day, leading all players on the field with a seven-point effort behind four goals and three assists. All six of his shot attempts hit the frame and he added two ground balls.
- Tyler Hopkins earned the starting nod tonight in the attack and made it count with two goals on three shots while picking up three ground balls.
- Nick Howard and Xander Cosenza each logged two-point games with a goal and an assist apiece.
- Nick McCabe, Conrad Rhein, Stephen Polsinelli and Keegan Maxwell all added goals.
- Following a caused turnover, Greg Morissette added a helper on Lynn's 11th goal of the game.
- Harrison Kaplan posted a career-high three caused turnovers while Mark Pryor tacked on two.
- Brous had himself a career night, taking all 30 faceoffs in the game for Blue and White. He won 23 and lost seven, while picking up 17 ground balls.
- Collin McClelland played the full 60 minutes in the cage, making nine stops. The sophomore netminder now has nine or more saves in four straight games.
- Drew Custance tied his season-high with four ground balls.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Brous' 23 faceoffs wins are the most ever in a single game from a Fighting Knight. Vincent Genovesi held the high mark of 21 since March 25, 2015.
- Additionally, Brous' 17 ground balls surpassed the old program record of 15 set by Christopher D'Angelo on March 30, 2014 – during the team's inaugural season.
- Urso's seven points and four goals both tie his career-highs.
- Lynn's 12 goals scored are its most in a loss this season.
- Lynn and Florida Southern have traded wins each of the past five seasons during the programs' series history. The away team has won every matchup.
- A total of 10 goals were recorded in the fourth quarter between the two sides.
- Polsinelli did not record a multi-point game for the first time this season.
The Fighting Knights hit the road on Wednesday, April 4, for a 4 p.m. SSC tilt at Florida Tech.