Saint Leo, Fla. – Lynn University's lacrosse team possessed the ball for a large majority of the afternoon on Saturday and was able to keep a high-powered Saint Leo University offense from running wild but a heartbreaking goal with seven seconds remaining was the dagger that lifted the sixth-ranked Lions to an 11-10 Sunshine State Conference win over the Fighting Knights. The game was featured as the NCAA Division II Showcase and was streamed live on ESPN3.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Saint Leo 11, Lynn 10
Records: #6 Saint Leo (11-1, 5-0 SSC), Lynn (9-5, 2-4 SSC)
Location: University Turf | Saint Leo, Fla.
All-Time Series: Saint Leo leads 3-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Conrad Rhein had the two most memorable goals of the game, first scoring on a behind-the-back beauty towards the end of the first half before registering the game-tying score with 28 seconds remaining in regulation. He tacked on an assist and four ground balls.
- Xander Cosenza also logged a three-point game with two goals and a helper. Five of his seven shots hit the frame.
- Nick Howard and Mikey Urso were Lynn's final two multi-goal scorers with two strikes apiece.
- Nick McCabe and Stephen Polsinelli also found the back of the net for the Blue and White, with the latter adding an assist. Jared Chaloux registered two helpers.
- Dryden Brous had another phenomenal day at the faceoff X, taking all 24 draws in the game and winning 19. He did almost all of the work himself, picking up 17 ground balls.
- Netminder Collin McClelland made eight saves through the full 60 minutes in the cage.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Brous' 17 ground balls ties his own program record set earlier this season vs. Florida Southern. His 19 faceoff wins is four shy of his own school record and is tied for fourth-most in a game all-time.
- Saint Leo came into the game averaging 16.5 goals per game, the fifth-most in the country.
- The Fighting Knights switched up their primary offensive set, giving Rhein the start in the attack with Urso coming on as a first-line offensive midfielder. Urso did fluctuate between roles throughout the game, however.
- Saint Leo goalkeeper Thomas Tatarian had quite the day in between the pipes, making 16 saves, and was selected as the ESPN Division II Showcase Player of the Game.
- Both teams were perfect on the clear.
- The Fighting Knights outshot the Lions, 39-26.
- Lynn currently leads the league in shots per game at 42.7.
- The Fighting Knights fall to 1-3 when facing nationally-ranked opponents this season.
- Saint Leo and Florida Tech are the last two remaining teams in the SSC with undefeated league records.
- The Lions are on a seven-game winning streak. Lynn went on a six-game tear earlier this season, marking a program record.
- The Blue and White have been officially eliminated from SSC postseason contention.
Lynn closes out the season on Saturday, April 21, when it hosts Tampa at 7 p.m. on Senior Night.