BOCA RATON, Fla. – Junior faceoff specialist Dryden Brous broke one of his own school records and tied another as the Lynn University men's lacrosse team downed St. Michael's College in nonconference play Thursday night, 12-9. The Fighting Knights held their annual One Love Game, in support of the One Love Foundation and its Yards for Yeardley movement.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 12, St. Michael's 9
Records: Lynn (4-3), SMC (3-2)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: First-ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Brous produced his best-ever performance in a Blue and White uniform, winning 23-of-25 (92%) faceoff attempts and picking up 20 ground balls. The 20 ground balls breaks his old school record of 17 while the 23 faceoff wins match Brous' own program high-mark.
- Conor Vaughan started his second consecutive game, tallying a career-high four points behind two goals and two assists.
- Sophomore Jared Chaloux notched the first hat trick of his career, which included a sweet no-look strike at the end of the first half. All of his team-high-tying six shots found the frame.
- Freshman Gavin Leach registered the first two goals of his collegiate career as all three of his shot attempts were on goal.
- Xander Cosenza rounded out the multi-goal scorers with two strikes, making it a four-point day with two assists.
- Nick McCabe, Mikey Urso and Chase Stokes all found the back of the net.
- McCabe (2) and Urso tacked on assists, while Daniel Luette logged the first point of his career with a helper.
- Starting defenders Evan P. Kalish (5) and Greg Morissette (4) led the way in the ground ball department.
- Collin McClelland earned the starting nod and played all but two minutes in the cage, making nine stops.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The previous school record for ground balls in a game was 17, which Brous achieved twice last season.
- Brous' 23 faceoff wins tonight matches his career high and program record he set last year vs. Florida Southern.
- Brous has won 19+ faceoffs in each of the past four games, including three games with 22+ wins at the X.
- Vaughan has been on fire of late, recording seven goals in the past three games and nine goals in the past five outings.
- Vaughan already has more points this season (11) than he did in his first three years combined (5).
- Head coach Brian Kingsbury, now in his sixth season at the helm at Lynn, served as the head coach at St. Michael's during the 2012 campaign before coming to Lynn, guiding the Purple Knights to one of their most successful seasons ever.
- Current SMC assistant coach Kevin Hunt was a captain on Kingsbury's 2012 Purple Knights' squad.
The Fighting Knights close out a three-game home stretch this week tomorrow night, Friday, March 22, with a 6 p.m. matchup against CSU-Pueblo.