Tampa, Fla. – There have been quite a few exciting victories for the Lynn University men's lacrosse program the last couple of years, but maybe none as memorable as the squad's performance on Saturday night as the Fighting Knights took down the Sunshine State Conference's perennial powerhouse, the University of Tampa, for the first time in program history.
Tied 10-10 with 15 seconds to play in the fourth quarter, the Blue and White came out of a timeout with the ball as Nick McCabe took matters into his own hands, shaking free from his defender and burying the game-winner from deep with 11 seconds remaining. With the win, Lynn takes over the No. 1 spot in the SSC standings.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 11, Tampa 10
Records: Lynn (10-3, 5-1 SSC), Tampa (11-5, 5-1 SSC)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-Time Series: Tampa leads 6-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- McCabe finished with two goals and two assists while five of his six shot attempts hit the frame.
- Xander Cosenza posted a game-high four goals, which included a couple of highlight-worthy individual performances. He took a whopping 13 shots.
- All three starting attackmen got on the score sheet with Caleb Wells tallying two goals, Mikey Urso finding the back of the net in the fourth period and Conor Vaughan dishing an assist.
- Offensive midfielder Chase Stokes scored on his only shot attempt of the night.
- Junior faceoff specialist Dryden Brous registered the fourth multi-point game of his career, recording a goal and an assist. He did meet his match at the X however for the first time this season, as he won just 9-of-26 faceoffs against fellow All-American Ross Dickerson.
- Brous led the ground ball department with six, followed by Ian Magnan and Greg Morissette with four apiece and Peter Masters with three.
- Evan P. Kalish logged a pair of caused turnovers.
- Collin McClelland turned in another dynamite performance in the cage, logging 13 saves, including five in the fourth quarter. The junior becomes the first Lynn goalkeeper to win 10 games in a season.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Dating back to the program's first season in 2014, the Fighting Knights had never defeated Tampa coming into tonight's matchup.
- Lynn hands Tampa just it's third-ever SSC loss in the league's six-year existence.
- Tampa has won all five of the SSC Tournament Championships.
- Lynn has now won a program-record seven consecutive games.
- The Fighting Knights have won double-digit games for the first time in program history.
- McCabe, a redshirt-sophomore, logs his second career game-winner in the Blue and White. Last season, he scored the game-tying goal and then the game-winner in overtime at North Greenville.
- Cosenza's 13 shots are one shy of the program's single-game record.
- There were a combined 11 goals scored in the first quarter of play.
- Brous broke his own program record for ground balls in a season (146).
- Brous faced his toughest adversary at the faceoff X since he went 5-of-14 vs. Tampa in his freshman season.
- Tampa is ranked No. 16 in this week's USILA National Rankings, with Lynn just outside of the top 20. The Fighting Knights are featured in the US Lacrosse Magazine rankings at No. 18.
Lynn returns home for its final game of the regular season for Senior Day on Saturday, April 20, at 1 p.m. vs. Saint Leo.