BOCA RATON, Fla. – A sudden, unexpected downpour in the second half changed the pace of the game Wednesday night as Lynn University's men's soccer team scored twice in the final 15 minutes but fell short to Rollins College in Sunshine State Conference action.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Rollins 4, Lynn 3
Records: Rollins (6-7-0, 4-3-0 SSC), Lynn (6-3-2, 3-3-1 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium |Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 21-8-2 (Last meeting 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Tars found the back of the net first in the 19th minute as a Tosan Popo delivery allowed Grant Blackhurst an opportunity to turn-and-shoot at the top of the box.
- The Fighting Knights evened it up in the 40th minute when Chris Hellmann and Tomer Bitton connected before a Lukas Zlatarits goal.
- Matt Volk and Popo regained the lead for Rollins at the onset of the second half with unassisted goals in the 50th and 63rd minutes, respectively.
- Gatien Salaun added offensive firepower as a late sub for Lynn, cracking a beautiful volley past the keeper off a Bruno Militz cross.
- In the 88th minute, Hellmann fought past a pack of defenders in the box to create space for a left-footed strike to mark the final tally of the match.
STAT OF THE GAME:
- Lynn held an advantage over Rollins in shots (14-11), shots on goal (9-5) and corner kicks (5-4).
- Drew Trautmann turned away six shots for Rollins while Lynn's Jonny DeMoya recorded a save.
- Zlatarits and Hellmann each finished with a goal and an assist for the Blue & White.
- Hellmann recorded his 13th goal and 12th assist on the season.
- It was Salaun's first goal of the year and second of his career.
Lynn hits the road for its final non-conference contest of the regular season at Embry Riddle on Saturday, Oct. 24 with a 7 p.m. kickoff.