BOCA RATON, Fla. – Two late second-half goals in a six-minute span catapulted Lynn University's men's soccer team to a 2-1 victory over the University of Tampa on Thursday night. Chris Hellmann's game-winner put the Fighting Knights into the SSC Championship for the fifth consecutive year.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 2, Tampa 1
Records: Lynn (8-3-2, 4-3-1 SSC), Tampa (9-6-0, 5-3-0 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 22-13-1 (Last meeting 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Fredlin Mompremier needed only 2:35 into the second half (47:35) to put Tampa ahead 1-0 when he beat Lynn's defense from midfield and slotted a shot past the goalkeeper
- Luca Puster scored the equalizer in the 76th minute, perfectly heading a corner kick from Sebastian Schulz inside the left post.
- Chris Hellmann scores the game-winning goal in the 82nd minute when a failed clearance drops at the top of the box to Victor Moreira, who moves to the left wing and sends a cross inside the box where the junior striker heads to the left post.
STAT OF THE GAME:
- Lynn outshot Tampa 16-9 overall but held the Spartans to only one shot attempt in the second half, a goal from Mompremier.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn has won six consecutive matches against the Spartans.
- Eight of the last 10 meetings have been decided by a goal or less.
- Chris Hellmann moved into a tie for second place in program history with his 14th game-winning goal.
- Hellmann also scored off a header for only the second time in his career.
- Lynn is making its fifth consecutive SSC Tournament appearance and 10th overall.
The Fighting Knights will participate in the opening round of the SSC Championship, which will begin on Tuesday, Nov. 3. Find out who, when and where the men's soccer team will be playing at LynnFightingKnights.com