Cleveland, Tenn. – After 20 minutes of scoreless play to start the match, Lynn University's 25th-ranked men's soccer team erupted for six first-half goals, en route to a 9-1 victory over Auburn Montgomery in each team's season-opener. Seven different players found the back of the net as a mixture of returners and newcomers contributed.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 9, Auburn Montgomery 1
Records: Lynn (1-0-0), Auburn Montgomery (0-1-0)
Location: Cleveland, Tenn. | Lee Soccer Field
Series: Lynn leads 3-0-1 (Last played in 1994)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Lynn attempted five shots in the first 20 minutes of play but it was an attempt by Bruno Militz in the 21st minute of action that gave the Fighting Knights their first goal of the 2016 season.
- Newcomer Jack Watson put on an offensive display by notching the first of his three goals in the 23rd minute and again in the 27th minute.
- A nine-minute lull in the action ended when Alun Webb delivered his first goal with the Blue & White, followed by scores from Tomer Bitton (43rd minute) and Simon Kraemer (45th minute).
- It took all of 1:44 into the second half before Watson picked up the scoring again, slipping a shot by second-string keeper Jacob Bergengren off an assist from Luca Puster.
- After missing all of the 2015 campaign due to an injury, captain Adam Hutchinson scored his first goal since November 21, 2014 to put Lynn ahead 8-0.
- Victor Moreira capped off the Blue & White scoring with a goal in the 72nd minute, heading a ball off a Christian Wittmann cross.
- Lynn's chances for a clean sheet were dashed after Alan Harwell beat keeper Alexander Roth in the 89th minute.
- Jack Watson looks to have regained his scoring touch. Also absent during the 2015 season due to injury, he notched three goals and added an assist in his debut with the Fighting Knights. Watson scored 22 goals for Mercyhurst in 2014.
- Bruno Militz, Tomer Bitton, Alun Webb and Simon Kraemer each added a goal and an assist apiece.
- Wittmann tallied a pair of assists.
- Lynn outshot Auburn Montgomery 17-1 in the opening half and 24-3 for the game. The Fighting Knights also held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Roth turned away one shot but surrendered one goal while Warhawks' keepers Stephen Ingram and Bergengren combined for three saves and nine goals allowed.
- Lynn won its season-opener for the fifth consecutive year and moves to 28-2-1 all-time in its opening match.
- The Blue & White set two program records in the win; most goals scored and largest margin of victory in season-openers. The previous record was set in a 7-0 win over Grand View in 1992.
Lynn returns to the pitch on Saturday, Sept. 3, at 7 p.m. when they battle host Lee University in the final match of the Lee Olive Garden Invitational. Fans can keep up with live stats at LynnFightingKnights.com.