BOCA RATON, Fla. – Jack Watson netted another game-winner and the fourth-ranked Lynn University men's soccer team posted its second clean sheet in a 2-0 victory over Spring Hill College in the second game of the Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort Soccer Classic. The win sets up an undefeated battle with top-ranked Pfeiffer, which defeated Palm Beach Atlantic 5-2 in the afternoon match.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 2, Spring Hill 0
Records: Lynn (4-0-0), Spring Hill (0-2-1)
Location: Boca Raton, Fla. | Bobby Campbell Stadium
Series History: Lynn leads 1-0-0 all-time (First meeting)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- As has been the norm for the Fighting Knights, Watson scored the deciding goal midway through the opening half. Adam Hutchinson started the play with an accurate distance pass down the right sideline, catching Alun Webb in stride. Webb sent a low cross through the six-yard box and Watson was there for the easy finish.
- Webb had a chance to add to the lead later in the half but Badgers keeper Will Carpenter was able to get a diving hand on the one-on-one attempt.
- Lynn's offense was able to pad its lead in the 74th minute when Webb was tripped up inside the box. The junior midfielder buried his penalty kick to make it 2-0.
- The Fighting Knights' defensive unit of Luca Puster, Sebastian Radakovics, Simon Kraemer and Dylan McCabe were stellar throughout the match but held Spring Hill without a shot attempt in the second half.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Webb lead the team with a goal and assist, giving him five goals and two assists for 12 points.
- Watson logged his team-leading sixth goal and 13th point.
- Alexander Roth collected his second shutout of the season.
- Lynn outshot Spring Hill 17-3.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Watson has scored the game-winner in all four of Lynn's games this year.
- Webb is second on the team to Watson in both goals and points.
- The one shot allowed on goal by the defense is the fewest allowed this season with the three overall attempts ties the season-best total.
- Pfeiffer easily dispatched of Palm Beach Atlantic 5-2 in a rematch of last season's NCAA Division II quarterfinals.
Lynn will play the final game of the Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort Soccer Classic on Sunday, Sept. 11, at 4 p.m. when it hosts top-ranked Pfeiffer. PBA takes on Spring Hill at 1 p.m. Both games can be watched live at LynnFightingKnights.com.