BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's fourth-ranked men's soccer team outlasted a late charge to knock-off top-ranked Pfeiffer 2-1, snapping the Falcon's 28-game winning streak, which was the second-longest in NCAA Division II history. Jack Watson continued his stellar start with the Fighting Knights, netting his fifth consecutive game-winning goal in the final match of the Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort Soccer Classic.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 2, Pfeiffer 1
Records: Lynn (5-0-0), Pfeiffer (3-1-0)
Location: Boca Raton, Fla. | Bobby Campbell Stadium
Series History: Lynn now leads 1-0 all-time (First meeting)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnight
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The game took a physical nature early on with each squad accepting hard fouls.
- Pfeiffer appeared shell-shocked as a mere 16:05 into the match Christoph Maug scored from just inside the 18-yard box. Dominic Docherty won a header on the back line and found Maug alone at the top of the box. The junior midfielder ripped a shot which deflected off a defender and snuck inside the left post.
- Lynn's defense held strong, allowing only four shots, and two on mark, in the opening half.
- The Fighting Knights had a goal overturned due to a foul late in the half.
- Jack Watson put the Blue & White in the driver's seat in the 56th minute of play. Alun Webb beat his defender down the left sideline and sent a perfect cross from the left corner. Watson had a step on his defender and had a perfect header past Tomas Correa to give Lynn a 2-0 advantage.
- The Fighting Knights had their second goal of the day called back in the 59th minute when Watson beat Correa again on a shot. But the junior forward was whistled for offsides.
- Pfeiffer cut its deficit in half in the 70th minute when Jamie Siaj collected a failed clearance and crossed a ball through the 18-yard box. Nathan Regis was there for the goal to make it 2-1.
- The Falcons put the pressure on with four corner kicks over the final 15 minutes but the Blue & White defense continued to turn them away.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn's goal's came from Maug and Watson while Docherty and Webb collected assists.
- Alexander Roth turned away two shots while his counterpart Correa stopped four shots.
- Lynn outshot Pfeiffer 11-6 but the Falcons led 8-4 in corner kicks.
- The two teams combined for 36 fouls, including seven yellow cards.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Jack Watson leads the team with seven goals and 15 points.
- Watson has also scored the game-winner in all five Lynn victories.
- Docherty collected his team-best fifth assist.
- Pfeiffer's last loss came November 16, 2014 to Young Harris. The Falcon's 28-game winning streak was five shy of Southern Connecticut State's record (33) and is two more than Lynn's mark of 26 (2000-01), which is fourth-best in NCAA Division II history.
The Fighting Knights cannot take a breather as they open up Sunshine State Conference play on Wednesday, Sept. 14, when they travel to West Palm Beach, Fla., to battle Palm Beach Atlantic. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m. and can be watched live at LynnFightingKnights.com