BOCA RATON, Fla. - A goal by Jack Watson 7:22 into the match was the start of a big night for Lynn University's forward as the 15th-ranked men's soccer team took out 24th-ranked Florida Tech 3-0 on Saturday night. Watson tallied two goals and an assist while collecting his seventh game-winning goal this year.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 3, Florida Tech 0
Records: Lynn (8-1-1, 3-1-1 SSC), Florida Tech (5-2-1, 3-2-0 SSC)
Location: Boca Raton, Fla. | Bobby Campbell Stadium
Series History: Lynn leads 27-4 all-time (last played in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- One of the top defensive teams in the nation found themselves on their heels but with some luck in the opening minutes of the match after Watson's goal was called back due to offsides.
- The drought did not last long as one minute later Alun Webb connected with Watson, who buried shot to the lower left for his 10th goal of the season.
- Later in the half, Dylan McCabe and Christophy Maug each had their chances to make it a 2-0 game but FIT keeper Christian Moerch made a pair of saves to maintain the one-goal deficit. Moerch made a diving stop on a McCabe rip from the top-left corner of the 18-yard box and had to make a point-blank save on the ensuing rebound attempt by Maug.
- Florida Tech's chances were many but stopped each time by Alexander Roth. The greatest opportunity came in the 43rd minute on a shot by Jan Hlavica but the junior netminder turned away the attempt from inside the six-yard box to keep Lynn ahead 1-0 heading to the locker room.
- Dominic Docherty was poised for a goal in the second half as he hit the right post on a breakaway attempt in the 59th minute. He later beat Moerch to the left side on another one-v-one situation after being fed a through ball by Watson.
- Watson put the match away in the 67th minute. Victor Moriera took advantage of a new defender on the left wing and sent a low crossing ball into the area. Moerch bobbled the cross and Watson was there for the tap-in.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn outshot Florida Tech 15-12 and held a lopsided advantage of 7-2 in corner kicks.
- Roth had nine saves while his counterpart Moerch stopped three shots.
- The two teams combined for 33 fouls, including seven yellow and one red card.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is only the third time in the last 11 meetings the match was not decided by a goal.
- Florida Tech had conceded only six goals in seven games heading into the match against the Fighting Knights.
- Lynn's three-goal margin of victory is the largest in the series since a 4-1 Fighting Knights win in 2008.
- Watson collected his second multi-goal game of the year and fourth match with at least three points.
- Roth's nine saves are a career-high.
Lynn is back in action on Wednesday, Oct. 5, when they travel to face nationally-ranked Tampa at 7 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.