Tampa, Fla. - Lynn University's 15th-ranked men's soccer took down rival and seventh-ranked Tampa 2-1 on Wednesday evening despite a late charge from the Spartans. Jack Watson collected his eighth game-winning goal in giving UT its first loss of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 2, Tampa 1
Records: Lynn (9-1-1, 4-1-1 SSC), Tampa (6-1-2, 2-1-1 SSC)
Location: Tampa, Fla. | Pepin Stadium
Series History: Lynn leads 23-13-1 all-time (last played in 2015)
Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook -/LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue & White took a 1-0 advantage midway in the first half when Niklas Tasky found the back of the net off a Dominic Docherty pass.
- Lynn looked to extend that lead late in the period with a diving save by Jake Richards off an Alun Webb shot. Christoph Maug missed on a header attempt on the ensuing corner kick to head to the break ahead by a goal.
- Watson nearly scored in the 50th minute when his attempt outside the box rocketed the crossbar. Adam Hutchinson collected the loose ball but Richards turned away his shot.
- Watson would not be denied in the 68th minute as the junior forward buried his attempt from Webb for the eventual game-winner.
- The Spartans surge came a bit too late. They would cut the deficit to 2-1 at 78:56 of the second half. Several close shots sailed high and wide until Curtis Kirby's last-ditch effort with seven second to play was stopped by Alexander Roth.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Watson picked up his 12th goal of the year.
- Webb and Docherty continue to share the team lead in assists with six.
- Tampa edged Lynn in total shots 16-15 but the Fighting Knights held a comfortable lead in corner kicks 8-2.
- Richards stopped seven shots to Roth's five shots
- The two squads combined for 25 fouls.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Watson has netted eight of the team's nine game-winning goals and trails by two the record of 10 game-winners held by Chris Hellman.
- Roth increased his SSC-leading save total to 41.
- Lynn has won the last eight meetings against Tampa dating back to 2012.
Saturday's match against Florida Southern has been postponed due to Hurricane Matthew. The Fighting Knights will next be in action on Saturday, Oct. 15, at 2 p.m. when they host Eckerd College during Lynn University Families Weekend.