BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's 10th-ranked men's soccer team kept to the script which has worked well all season: Jack Watson scores and Alexander Roth makes saves. Watson scored the game-winner and Roth tallied six saves in a 2-0 victory over Eckerd on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 2, Eckerd 0
Records: Lynn (10-1-1, 5-1-1 SSC), Eckerd (6-3-2, 2-3-1 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads all-time 25-2 (last played 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A header by Luca Puster inside the 18-yard box just 1:25 into play put Lynn in a position to take a lead while Juan David Tejada was turned away by Roth on a breakaway attempt in the fourth minute.
- Watson turned in his 13th goal of the year, and ninth game-winner, in the 15th minute after a hustle play by Simon Kraemer. Kraemer beat his defender and kept the ball in play on the back line before sending a low cross to the left post. Watson evaded traffic and tipped the cross past Tritons' keeper Alex Gott to put Lynn ahead 1-0.
- Roth kept Lynn ahead going into the break with two more brilliant saves against the Tritons' top goal-scorer Tejada, turning away the shifty forward on a pair of breakaway attempts.
- Lynn had a pair of chances to extend its lead before halftime with both Bruno Militz and Watson creating two-on-one chances but the Tritons held strong.
- The Fighting Knights took away any momentum Eckerd had just 1:24 into the second half when Militz beat Gott on the left wing with a shot inside the right post, giving Lynn a 2-0 advantage.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn outshot Eckerd 13-8, including 7-2 on target.
- The Fighting Knights had six corner kicks to Eckerd's three.
- Roth collected six saves to Gott's two.
- Kraemer and Dominic Docherty came away with assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Watson's ninth game-winner has him two behind Chris Hellmann for the program record.
- Roth collects his fifth shutout of the season
- Lynn has won four straight against Eckerd and has not lost to the Tritons in the last 10 meetings.
- Bruno Militz scored for the first time since the season-opener and played in his first game since September 9.
Lynn is back on the pitch when it travels to Winter Park, Fla., to battle Rollins on Wednesday, Oct. 19, at 7 p.m. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.