Winter Park, Fla. – Facing multiple deficits throughout the match, Lynn University's eighth-ranked men's soccer team stared adversity in the eye and emerged victorious 5-3 over Rollins College on Wednesday night. Jack Watson was spectacular in having a hand in four of the team's goals while Alun Webb netted the game-winner late in the contest to end a three-match winless streak against the Tars.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 5, Rollins 3
Records: Lynn (11-1-1, 6-1-1 SSC), Rollins (7-5-1, 3-4-1 SSC)
Location: Barker Family Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series history: Lynn leads 22-8-2 overall (last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- It took a mere 1:04 for the Blue & White to grab the early lead when a hard foul inside the box gave Lynn a penalty kick. Watson buried the attempt for his 14th goal of the year.
- The Fighting Knights' lead would be short lived after Rollins scored a pair of goals in succession (23rd & 25th minutes), to take the 2-1 advantage.
- Minutes into the second half, Matheus Ayrolla struck from inside the box where he volleyed a corner kick from Webb past Rollins' Drew Trautmann to knot the match 2-2.
- Rollins responded within five minutes when James Crowley beat reigning Sunshine State Conference Defensive Player of the week Alexander Roth to put the Tars ahead 3-2.
- Watson commanded the final 15 minutes of play, first squaring the match at three in the 77th minute with his second goal of the day. Webb then found the back of the net for the eventual game-winner off an assist from the Dublin, Ireland, product in the 79th minute before Watson put the game away with an insurance breakaway attempt, securing the 5-3 victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn edged Rollins 16-14 in shots but held a commanding 6-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Roth turned away four shots while his counterpart Trautmann made three saves. Rollins also recorded one team save.
- Watson tallied three goals and one assist while Webb and Ayrolla notched one goal and an one assist apiece.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is Watson's third multi-goal game of the season and second hat trick.
- Ayrolla recorded the first three-point match of his Blue & White career.
- Watson has scored in five consecutive games and in 11 of 13 games overall.
- This is Lynn's first victory at Rollins since 2011 and ends a three match winless streak against the Tars.
The Fighting Knights play the first of their final two home matches when they host Embry-Riddle on Saturday, Oct. 22, at 6 p.m. Fans can watch the action on the Lynn Sports Network at LynnFightingKnights.com.